1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Oil & Filter Change

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Steve Davison, May 20, 2017.

1. I am off on an 11 day tour in 3 weeks and plan to do an oil change myself before I go
    Never done it before. Have sourced oil recommended by a local dealer and an oil filter.
    Is this a straightforward job? Apart from taking the sump guards off I'm thinking it should be easy. Any tips would be appreciated

2. Sump guards were the hardest bit when I did mine. It's very straightforward though and all clearly visible once the guard is off.

3. If you have a centre stand fitted you will need to remove that before you can remove the sump guards, apart from that it's just like any other bike.

Enjoy the trip!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fill up the replacement filter with new oil before adding it the bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Threads merged and duplicate posts deleted

6. I did my Multi last weekend.
    It's easy, remove the centre stand, take off the bash plate and drain the oil. I would suggest a new copper washer on the sump plug and don't over torque it when you put it back in.

The sump plug plug is magnetic so check it for swarf when you have it out. An oil filter removal tool also helps.

My bike took over 3.5 litres of oil to fill it, I used a good quality fully synthetic 10w30 and the motor sounds really happy with the new stuff.

Good luck.

7. and if you're Kent/east sussex way at any point, I've an oil filter tool you can have as it's no use to me anymore.

*slim chance I may be up your way Wednesday.

8. Thanks but have one. Thank you for your kind offer

Steve D

9. Great thanks. Need to get hold of a drain plug washer

10. Nice one thanks

Steve D

11. Cheers nice one

Steve D

12. Cheers nice one

Steve D

13. Thanks

Steve D

14. Use plenty of copperslip when putting sump guards back on otherwise you'll regret it further down the line!

15. Hi All,my multi is a 2010 1200s and has covered only 12k,im doing oil change myself, and was going to do the gauze filter after ordering all the gasket and O rings, only to find some Ducati tech in the past have rounded my M4 Allen bolts!!!!
    Grrrrr,so I'm trying to get them out soon, so try and check your gauze filter plate bolts and service history if its been changed???
    Also my oil filter is so tight,I also have the 8 flute tool, by christ I had to have my double oats when I cracked it!!!!!!!
    Not sure I trust techs anymore???

16. Also had my sump guards powdercoated,Black bike, with that new grey colour on Monster 1200 tank...
    will post pics if I ever get to fit them back!!!!!! lol

17. Changed my oil today on 999. oil filter came off first go with no problems as it hadn't been over tightened when fitting. Guess who fitted it, yep, me. Every time a garage does it's a bitch to get off!

18. If you heat up the copper washer then when hot, submerge it in cold water it keeps it flexible and reusable.
    Tip from my dads motorcycling days. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Yep, cherry red in'it ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information