1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Filter Spring(s)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Irogerh, Feb 13, 2019.

1. I have been rebuilding my 1997 750ss and about to put a on a new oil filter but when taking the old one off the connecting double threaded adaptor (think it is called a bolt union) came off as well together with what turned out to be 2 thin “springs”. All the diagrams I have seen suggest that there should only be one spring. Should I replace it as is or just put a single spring back?
    Would appreciate thoughts
    Roger

2. Is this what your on about? 79910391a.jpg

3. ^^ that's what I thought, the oil difflector plate or bypass valve, for the oil cooler.

#3 Birdie, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. Yes, that is it...there are two of them stacked on top of each other

5. I don't know your particular engine, but I wouldn't think there should be two, my 748 has one, it is fitted to deflect the oil flow through the oil cooler, not fitted if the bike isn't fitted with a cooler.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. As said above, Cant understand why there would be 2 in there, Very strange, You could try to get hold of the parts diagram to be 100% sure but 99% sure theres only meant to be one, Pretty hard to get hold of these now

7. One only........

AL

And use a K&N filter

8. Thanks for your reply.... I do have a parts diagram and it shows only one “spring” (that’s what the parts diagram calls it) which is why I asked the original question. I wondered if the diagram was wrong and that one spring is actually two.

9. I just re-read Birdie’s reply. I was wondered how the oil cooler was fed so now I know! I also wonder whether a previous owner has put two springs in, in order to reduce the flow to the cooler.... although it can be switched out of service in any case.

10. Is it possible two were fitted from the factory ?
    I've never seen one in the flesh, but it looks quite thin & I was wondering if the guy building the engine picked up two that were stuck together, thinking he'd only picked up one ?

11. Possibly, if it was a friday afternoon when your engine was built, the Italian assembler may have been under the influence.

12. Yes, I wondered the same. They are certainly thin enough for that to happen.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information