1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Oil Leaking Out The Breather!

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by James Thomas, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Hi guys

I only really use my 1098R on track these days. I’ve probably done a dozen or so since I brought it a couple of years ago and it’s always run faultlessly. This past weekend I was out at Yas Marina, it was hot (around 38 degrees C) and the bike has been serviced recently, but done 2 track days since. First session was fine, but after the second, I notice it has dropped a spoonful of oil out of that front breather pipe. Level looked fine so I went out for the 3rd session. Again, it dropped a bit more when I came back in, but all else seemed fine. Half way into the 4th session, the oil pressure warning light comes on the dash. So I cruise back to the pits and call it a night. Once cooled, the sight glass is still showing the level about right in the engine.

I assume it’s built up so much oil pressure that it’s puked oil back through the reed valve, into the air box and down the breather. Doesn’t feel good. Anyone else had similarly issues, especially on a bike that’s tracked a lot?

James

Do Not Sell My Personal Information