1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Level Above Max

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ck_uk, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Fresh oil in the bike but I overfilled a bit, drained some out but still above max.
    What are the ramifications of running with too much oil in?

2. drain a little bit more out for correct level:thinkingface:

3. potential broken piston rings if overfilled

4. Depending on how overfull it will probably just blow past the rings and smoke a bit but I'd drop some oil out and get it right.

5. Thanks, yes I can see air ok, it's just that I got overzealous with the filling, and after standing the bike vertically the level had risen some way above the max line.

6. I agree take some out

7. Have you started the bike?....when i change the oil on mine (just have) start the bike for 10 seconds and wait for the oil pump to take some of the oil up and then top up again...if youve overfilled and not started it then starting it will bring it (maybe) within tolerance...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. No I hadn't started it, but having done so now, that has made all the difference. The level is now showing just below max. Thanks

9. Cool! i did something right! :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. After speaking with Goeff Baines on the matter I always used to er on the side of full. The sump's pretty shallow on these cases so just below max for me also.

11. My 1991 900ss has a line with “max level “ written next to it towards the bottom of the window, I think I read somewhere that Ducati changed their minds on this later and said that the oil should reach half way up the window, can anyone confirm this?.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dunno, but I have some stickers left if you want to change it. Pm me if interested.

13. I used to run my 750 with the oil level about 2mm - 3mm above the Full line.

Rode it hard, it never smoked; never blew it out of the breather - in fact the oil level didn't change from one oil change to the next.

As far as I know, the bike is still running OK after I sold it.

AL

14. Agree with this -

All my bikes (race or road, 2v or 4v, new or old) leave the workshop with the oil just below the window top so that a small bubble is seen after the engine has been run for a while to refill coolers, cavities etc. Never had any issues with excess blowing, burning or broken rings!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. My bike came with the alloy tag and the min/max markings (corresponding to the two cast lines) but all very worn . Is the tag or a new sticker available for this (although general concensus seems to be that correct level is half way up , or just a little bit more?)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information