1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Pan ( Sump ) Protector Anyone ?

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by iang27, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Is anyone interested in a sump protector from Desmoworld.
    Since brexit they will only ship to the uk if you order 2 or more.

Apparently the low sump is a really weak point and quite a few have been holed or damaged by stones being thrown up.
    I wanted a black one so does anyone else want one and split the cost
    Obviously there will no doubt be import costs to add, probably 20-25% so £90-£100 I would think.

https://www.desmoworld.com/desmowor...er-streetfighter-v4/v4s-3614?number=DW.OEWS-B

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yes, I'm interested in that and happy to go half's on costs. New ish to site, but assume we can PM each other to arrange payments etc?
    Cheers
    Andy

PS, black for me too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sorry Andy, I placed an order before you posted as someone else had said they wanted one. Typical

4. No worries, will have to get my own, however, if anybody else is interested, same as above, I will order and we can split costs........

5. Arrived today, no import fees for some reason. Result.

213F22AE-1572-41E4-9261-A65DC1EB4967.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  6. I got one too yesterday, also no duty or VAT to pay so bonus….

Chris at Desmoworld was very helpful, called me immediately after ordering online and confirmed when it would be despatched and approximate eta. Got updates on tracking from DHL and Parcelforce and it arrived 6 days after ordering. Packaging is very professionally done and will hopefully get it fitted at the weekend.

All in all a great service from Desmoworld and will be using them again.

98ED1AC9-A623-4EDC-98A6-660E225BD9C2.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  7. That looks like a great design and really good idea. Not that expensive either.

For the record, duty is only payable on goods with a value of over £135.

VAT seems to be a bit hit or miss but if they didn't charge you and HMRC didn't pick up on it then that's a result.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I hope @iang27 does not mind me hijacking his thread, but wanted to offer some feedback on the vulnerability of the sump on the SFV4, and possibly all deep sump engine bikes, that do not have full belly pan protection. Also to offer some feedback on this great solution offered by Desmoworld.

I was not aware of this potential issue until Ian started this thread nearly 2 weeks ago and after a quick inspection of my bike, it was obvious something needed to be done.

In brief, I have had my SFV4 since July 2020, done just under 2,500 miles (bl**dy lockdown's!) and never been ridden in heavy rain, frost or if the roads have been recently gritted. I took a quick look underneath and this is what I found......

Sump2.jpg

The sump is slightly off-center and the main area of damage/pitting is directly in line with the front wheel.

I ordered the sump protector guard from Desmoworld and it arrived 6 days later.

Fitted it this weekend, applied a liberal coating of ACF-50 to the whole sump area and now the sump is much better protected.

Sump3.jpg

Sump6.jpg

Sump4.jpg

The only thing I can say about the installation, which is very straight forward, is that the supplied cap head screws, which are 5mm Allen drive, are a tight fit on the driver. It may be the black coating was a little too liberally applied, but I had to wiggle the drive bit in and out a bit to free them up before fitting to the bike. This may be a one-off issue, but worth checking before applying threadlock and then having to mess about trying to get the driver to fit.

All in all, I am very happy with this quick and easy solution to what could be a major issue if left unchecked.

Thank you @iang27 for the heads-up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ducati should have had something fitted standard. I have seen some with holes in the sump so at least now we should be ok.
    I am not sure of the bolts supplied, the heads felt as though they may round easily so I might fit some stainless ones.

10. Did those that bought one have to buy two?
    I’ve just seen this post but would like one so if anyone wants to pair up I’m in.

11. Outintheopen - I’d like one please. David

12. I ordered two and they take the German vat off. Didn’t get hit with any duty at all.
    Whether this was luck or they just didn’t bother I don’t know.
    About £80 each incl postage

13. Under the £135 threshold you want be charged, above it you’ll pay a lot more.

Charges for a set of rear sets that were £150 were £50.

14. The two parts I ordered were £160, didn’t get taxed. Pure luck I think.

15. If they were £160 each you did if they were £80 each then it’s on each item not the bundle, the previous week I’d ordered 2 items that went above the threshold and paid zero in taxes.

16. I’m interested in getting one of these before the bike arrives in a couple of weeks if anyone wants to double up? I’m going for the black one. If not I will cover it in heat proof tape lol

17. carl556 - I'd like one, prefer silver but OK with black. I'll pm my phone number.

18. The two Sump guards I ordered arrived today and no custom charges. Bonus ! Look very good quality but I see what they mean about the bolts. They look like they will
    round very easily. Intend to go easy tightening them and may dab a little
    Thread lock just to be safe

19. I think it’s the coating on them. I fitted them but even nipping them up they felt as though they could round off so I have fitted stainless ones

20. Can I ask what size your stainless ones are please ? I might order some replacements. Thanks

Do Not Sell My Personal Information