1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Oil Pressure Sensors

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Jocksimmy, May 31, 2017.

1. Hi all,

I had the oil light come on with my 09 848 and it goes out when revved, all levels fine and no noises.

Tried doing a search on here for the part number and came across this alternative but was in a 999 post

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-...054?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c568aa20e

Does anyone know if this is a safe and suitable replacement for the 848 or is it a call to the dealer?

Any thoughts/advice appreciated

2. Vauxhall Agila ones work

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thanks for confirming, I will get one tomorrow

4. Hi all,

Bringing this thread back up as my oil pressure sensor has failed again, from what I have read in various places it can be common on the 848/1098, has anyone had the same issues?

I carried out an oil pressure test today before fitting the new sensor and got the following readings
    1400 RPM - 50psi @ 82deg C
    3600 RPM - 85psi @ 102deg C

The manual stated greater than 0.8 bar at 1100-1300 rpm and it should be greater than 4 bar at 3500-4000 RPM with minimum oil temp of 80 deg C

It also states max oil pressure should never exceed 6 bar

When I carried out the test it was quite difficult to keep a constant rpm while checking the gauge but when up at 4K and above RPM I noticed the oil pressure was more than 6 bar and I'm now wondering if this is the reason my switch is failing and obviously the cause of the high oil pressure.

Does anyone have any experience of this issue or know what the relief valve is set at. Or possibly a schematic of the oil system.

Any help or advice appreciated

#4 Jocksimmy, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  5. does the factory manual help you? I only have the 916 but it does go into detail

6. It only really gives me the info I stated above regarding what it should be I.e above 4 bar but never exceeding 6 bar

7. Forgot to say, when I said it has failed I mean, on both occasions the light came on then oil started passing through the sensor from mechanical part into the electrical side causing it to leak at the wire connector.

This is the reason I'm wondering if high oil pressure is causing the sensor (possibly weakest link ) to fail

8. Have you checked the breather isn't blocked?? If it is will cause high oil pressure.

9. Is your oil pressure sensor on the clutch cover or in the oil cooler lines?
    Ducati moved the sensor from the clutch case to the oil lines because they kept on failing from the engine vibrations. I know the 848 evo has it fitted in the oil line

10. Sorry, just noticed you have an 848. Fitting the evo oil cooler line and blanking the hole for the current oil pressure sensor might be the way to go.

11. Yes, that was all ok, I
    have also increased RPM to see if the relief valve is operational, I would say that is set a 6.5 bar but never found anything referring to setting in the manual or online.

12. Yes, Breather was ok,
    I have also increased RPM to see if the relief valve is operational, I would say that is set a 6.5 bar but never found anything referring to setting in the manual or online.

13. This might explain things then, I did read on a few other forums they were notorious for failing and people just completely remove them and plug the hole.

That's not something I want to do and would prefer to find alternative solutions, I will have a look into moving the sensor to the same as an evo set up and what's required.

Thanks for the help

14. I think you just need the oil cooler line. I have a spare and if you want it I can post it on to you.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information