1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Pressure Switch Replacement

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Yorkie, Aug 19, 2015.

1. After not connecting half of the electrics (lights and speedo only) the oil pressure switch is redundant. So I decided to replace it with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yorkie

2. So basically it's useless and pointless....?

3. Yep...............If it's bust, that is.

4. Just a quick question regarding said switch and its ability to tell lies.......

Whilst out today on a ride from Coventry to Grantham, Oil light illuminates after 50 or so miles, stopped checked oil level and looked to be just above minimum.
    So airing on the safe side stopped at Stalkers dealership and bought some and topped it up, double checked the level and it was fine, turned on bike light goes off again, did a further 100 or so miles, light comes on.
    Checked oil level it's fine, comes on and goes off several times during the trip back...... could this be a dodgy switch?

5. it could be a dodgy switch or it could be that if it's a switch that has one lead to it, then the lead is broken/partially broken and is shorting out somewhere and finally it could be low oil pressure of course. Can you add some more symptoms? An engine just starting to suffer with low oil pressure often only shows up when really hot and only at low revs. If light is blinking randomly at any revs/hot or cold then possibly less trustable. When it used to happen with cars I would bite the bullet and give it a good rev in neutral on a hot engine while listening carefully (so no helmet on). If sounds ok and still idles at normal speed and engine response doesn't remind you of a car with the handbrake on then possibly nothing to worry about. A capillary fed mechanical oil pressure gauge was the only type I ever trusted on a track car.

6. In reply Chris
    Engine ran fine all the way back home no apparent lack of power or undue noises at all.
    No flickering of the light it was either illuminated or not.
    Temperature wise it never really got any hotter than just past a quarter from cold, even in traffic.
    Engines only done 11,000 miles from new and 9,000 of those miles are mine.
    When you take the connector off the switch without it running light goes off and when you reconnect light comes back on so I think the connection is good.

7. I didn't realise that light stays on all the time! - you would normally stop immediately! : ) From what you have said it sounds almost certainly like a fault and anything but low oil pressure. Check the route of the wiring from sensor (single or double wire?) to the light looking for breaks/shorting to earth. Alternatively (and sadly) the sidestand warning light switches can fail because of the low grade of steel used for the return spring within the switch which corrodes/disintegrates and then stops 'springing' - have also seen this in Veglia oil pressure switches used on cars so could be exactly what has failed within your pressure switch - i've yet to chop one up. You don't have to use a Ducati switch if the price is prohibitive as, as long as the thread matches/body not too big/12v almost any car or bike unit will do as it only has to measure some figure approx below 10 psi. I used to know one cross reference but forgotten now.

#7 Chris, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  8. why not fit a gauge and get some useful information.......and worry yourself senseless everytime the motor gets hot

• Like Like x 1
  9. Single Wire by the looks of it..... Will trace all the wiring up to the bulb tomorrow and see if it's catching anywhere. Probably something simple

10. I've had to fit numerous oil pressure switches to my 600 Monster over the years due to them packing up and going short circuit and lighting up the 'light of terror' on the dash. Finally replaced it with one for a Vauxhall Aguila for about £10 from my local main dealer which is a straight replacement and over 50% cheaper than a Ducati one - about £28 I think!

It does have a slightly higher 'lower limit' than the Ducati original - if that makes sense, but I see this can only be a good thing as it errs on the side of caution. Since I fitted it over a year ago and about 3000 miles, I've not had any more problems.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Top man Samurai :upyeah: that's the one!

12. had to replace the oil pressure switch on mine when I replaced the engine thought the new engine was a duff
    as the oil light was on permanently took the new switch which was only a few weeks old of the old engine fitted it and its been fine since

yep remember hearing Vauxhall agila switch is direct replacement and the ducati item was £28 when I bought it

13. Sorry for bringing this old thread back to life...
    Could I just unplug the oil pressure switch and fit an oil pressure sensor in its place?
    Any need to short out the 2 wires in the plug?

Cheers, ian

14. Unplug, fit, re-plug. No dramas and no special steps required.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cheers pal! :upyeah:

This is what I'm wanting to fit...

IMG_4641.JPG IMG_4682.JPG

16. It's all a bit too clean there : o )

One thing though - probably best that the engine isn't running when you swap sensors : o D

17. :bucktooth: Why? :p

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information