1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cream_Revenge, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Hey
    Maybe paranoia but I think bike (999) is using more oil than previously.

Could it be anything to do with valves needing adjustment?

I think I can see a little smoke when reving, but that again may be paranoia....

CR

2. Yip, it fooked :eek:

:innocent:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Anyone like to improve on "it's fooked"?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Its really fooked.

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Knackered

6. Have you poured oil down the exhaust pipes recently?

7. Bunch of @&$#*.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. @El Toro
    Please close thread. I'll try again tomorrow when the drunks have sobered up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. CR there's two things to remember here, one is that when you rev these bastards hard they will lose a bit of oil, two is that it's an old c*nting bike mate, those valve guide oil seals are over ten years old now the poor buggers, so are the rings etc.

I little oil usage and misting from the exhaust is OK as long as you keep the level from dropping below minimum.

If you're really worried then tomorrow you can drain and filter the oil and have a look at the particulates.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. If it was worn rings it wouldn't actually show in oil would it?
    ah, at last, a sensible person.

It's due an oil change as just done 2nd TD.

Reason I ask about valves is I don't believe they have ever been done and its just hit 20k mls.

11. Valves are due then. Cheapskate.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. I paid once. Just don't think he actually did it. Long story I don't really wish to regurgitate.

Just checked. I recon it's used between 1/4 and 1/3 of the window (if that makes sense, in 200 fast(ish) road miles and 100TD miles today.

Could it be valves?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. could be valve stems and or guides and seals. rings, bores pistons. breathers.

14. Valve shims won't make any difference unless the guides are worn. When does it smoke ? If it's guides it'll be when you open the throttle after decelerating on closed throttle few more than a second or 2. If it smokes from cold but not when it's warmed up, you'll be getting a little past the rings. If it smokes hot, do a compression test. Andy

• Like Like x 2
  15. stem seals etc will often show smoke on acceleration after an over run.

#15 finm, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Unlikely to be valve clearances, as already stated if the valve guided or seals are worn then you would use a little more oil, worn valve seals tend to show up on start up as oil leaks down into the cylinders while stood and the oil is burnt off on start up, unless really bad then it's unlikely you would see smoke after its initially burn off.
    That's my experience anyway.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. @Haydn , could you ask your mate if he noticed and smoke out the back of my bike after I overtook him?

18. I've not seen any smoke before I checked tonight. Engine was properly warmed up, 100mls back from Rockingham, and I put my hand over exhaust and thought I could see some smoke. No oil on hands though.

I assume what I've used above is not good?

I was planning on a valves service soon anyway so guess I'll just do sooner and get them to investigate........

Anyone know anyone who does winter service rates??

19. On a positive note, my tyre is much better . IMAG0015.jpg IMAG0014.jpg

20. Moto Rapido have in previous years offered a 20% discount on labour during November, December and January. Not been announced for this year yet but I have high hopes. Andy

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information