1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Omg..new Belts On My 1000ss

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Troutman, Oct 8, 2016.

1. So I bought a set of new belts from Stu (Exige) and fitted them the other day. Managed to sneak out today for an hour as the weather is so good.. what a difference!
    The engine was so hard to ride below 3k..so lumpy and snatchy..just horrrible. I asked the Ducati dealer in Edinburgh what could be done and he suggested a PC/dyno. £550!!
    Anyway today I was riding down a long 30mph stretch and it was just purring along at 2.5K/revs..I couldn't believe the difference.
    It must have been the timing slightly out with the old belts...these new ones have transformed the bike and it runs so much better all through the range..amazing.
    When I say the timing was out, I don't mean a tooth, I mean just stretch in the belts.

#1 Troutman, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. While that sounds great, I'm at a loss to know why it would make a difference after? Like you say, timing must have been out somehow?

3. Exige is a legend, he must have touched the belts with his bare hands before they were wrapped and despatched.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  4. That's why I prefer tappets (cam followers) and pushrods or timing gears in preference to rubber bands....

5. I think they must have stretched while the bike was in storage, looking into the anal service/polishing history (for which I am very grateful) the belts were 4years old although had done less that 500miles. They looked in good nick.
    I'm just amazed at how much better it runs and saved me £550. The thing is, had I done the Power Commander/Dyno, I would have undoubtedly had them change the belts at the same time and never have known the £550 was a total waste.

6. Which part of the "anal" service are you most greatfull for?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. :)hehe....

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. A good belting :D

9. Either the timing was out, (in which case didn't you notice when you were setting up to change them?) Or this is placebo effect with a hint of autosuggestion
    There's no way belts could stretch that much, they be jumping off the pulleys

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The engine would have expired. Or at very least valves

11. Definitely not placebo effect, I wasn't expecting any difference to the engine from doing the belts, it was when I hit the first 30mph section that I realised it was easy to manage..3rd gear 2.5k/rmin..before I had to ride in 2nd at 4k.
    The timing was spot on both times, all the dots lined up perfect.

12. Sorry, but something else has changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I can't explain it but it's so much smoother since doing the belts.

14. If they were that loose, so loose they could never have been tensioned properly in the first place, its unlikely they'd be in good condition when removed.

15. They weren't loose, they were Ducati belts and in very good condition.
    I'll need to take the bike out again today and just check I wasn't imagining it.

16. Sounds like one of the sponsored Amazon reviews

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Or the old thing where we all took the guts out of the silencer on a 50cc moped and swore blind that it doubled the horsepower and added 23.67 mph to the top end:Wtf:

• Like Like x 1
  18. I've forgot to mention I put the front spark plug back in , the PO must have forgotten to put it in during one of his "anal" service schedules. That wouldn't make much difference though would it?..I mean it's only a glorified light bulb

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. :Angelic:

20. Maybe they synced the carbs before doing dyno ? ....i just re synced my own carbs and that made a noteble diff... unless of course a bit of anal tweakibg made u think otherwise ;-)....ya walked into that one sorry...

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information