1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Operation Cooler Cooling Cooler. :)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by 470four, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Looking to get a better oil cooling arrangement for my carby... hi-comps were kept in check by a 32deg advance 600 flywheel, but still got VERY hot when "ridden furiously", or long periods in town/in hot weather...

Not keen to move the cooler above the horiz.pot - the vert.pot runs hot enough as it is & has enough to worry about - I fitted a Renntec cover just after I bought the bike so stones etc weren't a problem.

Heard of people fitting a 749/999 cooler?? A deeper triangular style, although a funny shape? Not keen...

848/1098/1198 coolers... measured up at 33% larger capacity than the standard 900SS cooler?? Could be an option!

Bought one - the dickhead courier company signed their scribblebox with my forged signature, put the parcel in plain public view under our front window then put a card through the door the say they had done?? Our front door is 10 feet away from a footpath to and from the local school, when I got home I found the card - but no parcel. :mad: Cue one claim, one shitty letter from the courier company & one shittier letter back saying they could not possibly have my signature on file as I was 12 miles away at work at that time with dozens of witnesses, enclosing a printout of a photo of the card left asking how the driver got my signature when they carded the delivery? :upyeah: One refund, got another cooler elsewhere...

Managed to get out between showers yesterday to warm the bike up to drop the oil out.

[​IMG]

Wrapped foil around the hot exhaust to stop oil soaking the exhaust, easily removed later to stop any huge clouds of smoke when the bike got hot again... :smile:

Strainer out, filter out - removed the SS unions. The 848 unions are a FAR superior design than the SS taperfit, being a male-female fit with two o-rings per joint?

[​IMG]

Swapped the unions over - fitted the new hoses, which allowed me to line the cooler up? Planned on using the SS anti-vibe rubbers, removing the rubbers from the top of the 848 cooler? Would need a small 2mm thick washer to fill the hole left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fill your filter with oil before fitting it - come back in 10 minutes & top it up again, I swear the thing holds over half-a litre of oil! Presoaked & full the filter will allow INSTANT flow of oil through it saving valuable seconds when starting a refilled dry engine again?

Made two brackets out of 2mm stainless plate - adapters to fit the cooler to the SS valve covers?

[​IMG]

Fitted! Added a cooler guard plate (Cheers, midnight runner!)

[​IMG]

T'other side:

[​IMG]

Superb! Predictably temperatures are much more in check (added a little heatproof tape to the front as a "thermostat" - removed when the bike is up to temp? In Winter the front stayed taped up, still does for short journeys??

Lot more tidier - the new hoses & stainless unions are pleasing to the eye... :upyeah:

2. My god your engine is clean. Do you use that bike? :D Check my Project SS is a go thread to see used bike hehe. Why did you not find two oil coolers? I have my 749 still in garage and will have it fitted to monster at one stage together with stock cooler. As I have a belly pan on monster I will have it at slight angle in the belly pan so it will look like it belongs.

3. LOL! Cheek... I saw your photos earlier, you buried that bike in your back garden for a while?? :tongue:

Engine is FILTHY at the mo - got resprayed last Winter after sorting this out:

[​IMG]

4. Looks good with that cooler on:upyeah:

I believe that the old Peso engines had 2 coolers one above and one below the front pot, that could have been an option, they come up on ebay every now and again?

5. Paso 750 had 2 oil coolers, one each side of the motor in fairing pods. Later 900cc models had watercooling and no oil cooler.

6. Not keen on running a cooler above the horiz. pot, restricts airflow to a hot-running vert pot, plus gets in the way of the carb adjustment screws - hence the interest in running an oversize lower cooler? :)

7. Fair enough, just my 2p's worth:smile:

8. You are so bl**dy right about that......but you will need a good guard on the larger lower version.........when I look at the hammering the front of my engine takes, I'm glad I have the higher one......

For you info though......if you don't have the carb heaters and have slightly longer hoses, you can unbolt the OEM cooler and raise it enough to get at the screws.

AL

9. Looks very trick that Darren:upyeah:

10. A few days road-test have show no leaks or other such dramas? :upyeah:

Few more photo's of the other bracket?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have the templates I made for both brackets - wondering if there would be a market for an bolts-and-brackets kit to fit an 848/1098 cooler to a carby??

11. There may well be a market for those brackets. I'd rather use some form of oil thermostat than the tape over the cooler, but that is a very neat conversion.:upyeah:

12. I can't find the link!!! :mad:
    A company sells various types and size's of oil coolers for air cooled dukes, Baines used 2 of them for the trick 944 SS they built.
    I'm 99% sure the company is based near baines in silverstone. ?

I'm sure one of the coolers was mounted in the nose fairing.

#13 Imola, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  13. Hmmm... :smile:

Will see what I can do? Would just need the cooler and hoses to go with the kit, which would include the two brackets & all bolts, washers & spacers?

Would sell alongside these:

Ducati 900SS ST2 ST4 M900 916 749 999 1098 1198 crankcase case saver stainless | eBay

Ducati 600SS 600 SS M600 M750 750SS Monster crankcase case saver stainless race | eBay

14. Having brought a case saver from you on eBay, I would look at brackets as well, as I run a 944 kit and it gets hot so I'm looking for solutions!

15. Ok - watch this space! Has knocked 10-12degC off the running temp so looks like the way forward... :upyeah:

16. Sorry to pee on all this lovely engineering, but I have just done a 360 mile round trip to Gt Yarmouth, with my side panels removed. She runs a good 15-20 degC cooler !!
    Air can get round all the hot bits, and there is very little variation in oil temp between cruising at 85 and chugging in traffic at 45, cool oil is happy oil !! Simples. I spliced on a couple of winkers to keep us legal. I have spotted some fibre-glass half fairings in Germay for £70 per pair _ just need a spray up. anyone want to buy a pair of full side panels ?? - cheers dp

17. Agreed! Have been running half-fairings for a year, far easier maintenance & more airflow? Its the way forward... :)

18. We can all benefit from some additional airflow about our nethers in this weather...:tongue:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information