1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions - Can Be Worthless So Have Your Say

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by PerryL, Sep 7, 2020.

1. You may of read elsewhere that I have been deliberating about buying a new Multistrada 950s when I get my money from the third party who my solicitor will eat for breakfast and the spit out (she can be rude!).

I am in no hurry as I can't physically get on a bike (not even a pushbike) and I have to do battle with DVLA as they have suspended my driving license.

But I have time to think - too much, some would say.

I have a ST2 and ST3 in various states of disrepair but my ambition is to get off my backside and repair them. And then I start thinking why spend the money? I like my ST3 and when I get the new battery fitted, I will see how she runs. I just need to sort out the mirrors as both side are detached.

Then I think why don't I just get a ST4 and part ex the ST3. A new Multistrada will cost me about 14k with the extras that I want, whereas a ST4 would be about 2-4k, depending on condition. Or stop being so boring and just keep the ST3. After all, If I get to January, that will be two years since I've ridden it!

If you had the dough would you get a new Multistrada 950s or save about 10k on a 15 year-old ST4(s)

Given that I can do the maintenance on a ST4, or if I don't feel like it, I know a man that can (louigi Moto).

I think that I've answered my own question! Get the ST3 back on the road and then do at least one more tour. Probably, Ireland, Scotland, or Wales. And then see if I want to do a big tour - like Norway or Poland coming after one or two in the UK or Ireland.

Thanks for that. I've decided what to do, now!!! Always helpful is this forum!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Did you bang your head?

3. I wouldn't ever buy a mutley.

You haven't given a reason why you don't get off your arse (your words not mine) and fix the ST2?

PS. Have you got a pic of this solicitor?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. There isn't a good reason. It's on my bike ramp - although the bar that keeps it raised rather than relying on the foot jack is lost but I need to find that, anyway. I did measure the vertical cylinder clearances and it does need different shims but I know that Riders will send me them. And I have a garden to clear. But that is all kust excuses and I need to start getting on. Too much sitting around watching YouTube!

My sol is somewhere in Guildford. I've never met her and I suppose that there might be a picture of her on their website as she is a partner! I will investigate!

5. Yes, twice!

6. You need to get your solicitor to read some posts.

It could get you another 50k..

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Well its getting near autumn & your plants will all go to sleep soon, so forget about the garden until next spring? Seems like the ST2 is a good prospect for an invigorating project for you. Plus it will give us all something to read and make suggestions about during the next few months -just make sure your camera is working!

8. Get the ST3 running and visit me to be amazed at how much you want a ST4 when you see mine, two birds one stone :D

• Like Like x 1

9. Given this may well be your last motorcycle purchase wouldn't you like to splurge the compo money on a newer model, unless you'd rather utilise the money somewhere else. Like a super duper euro tour over say 6 Months Norway Finland Russia Turkey and the destinations in between.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. It does seem like you've answered your own Q. But for others who are wondering, the answer depends very much on what one wants from a bike.

In my case the ST series easily bests the Multistradas. I have an ST3 and previously had an ST2, while I have put in a good few miles on a friend's early Multistrada.

The latter is undoubtedly a fantastic bike (and later ones even more so), but for me they're too high (can't get both feet securely on the ground) and too heavy. As a result I found it too easy to be caught off-balance when coming to a halt, especially in the case where one has started to pull away at a tricky but then has to jam on the brakes because of late-appearing traffic.

Personally I also find the Multi a bit too sit-up-and-beg for high-speed touring; I've always found clip-ons and rear-sets more comfy for this.

Given that Ducati has abandoned the sports-tourer segment I suspect that my ST3 will be the last "modern" Ducati I buy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yes, you are right. I will get the ST3 back on the road and I can use that for everything that I want to do. That will be more dependant upon me getting a driving license back.

I'll get my ST2 back together after finishing off the valve check (well, start again really as I can't find where I wrote down the clearances for the horizontal cylinder!).

And then I will part ex it either or both for a Multistrada 950s.

That's that sorted and as usual, I got the right answer form the group!

Well, I may have already known the answer but talking about has helped! Just need to stop talking and do!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Interesting point. It may work out that I would be happier on the ST3 than a Multistrada. That's why I need to get out and do test rides. I know that the ST3 does everything that I want and there is no pressing need to change it. Yes the Multistrada has more modern electronics and will talk to my phone but a satnav on the ST3 gave me everything that I needed.

So, the conclusion is still the same: get the ST2 and ST3 back on the road, ride them, and try a bit of UK touring, and then see what a wanna do. As the Multistrada is the only touring bike that Ducati do, if I was to buy a new bike, the Moto Guzzi V85 might be in the frame because it is a dedicated tourer (well, the V85 TT Travel is).

13. I did watch the 44 Teeth video and that was enough to put me off. Maybe if I had those trials down the road from me and it never rained then I would be a bit more interested in going off-road. But I don't.

I am not really interested in jap bikes and that bike doesn't change my mind.

Although the Multistrada 950s is more expensive, it is much more road orientated and that's where I want to be. And although the Guzzi V85 TT Travel is labeled "Adventure", it is a road bike with shaft drive.

My ultimate aim is to go to Poland. That will be on motorways and good A-roads. I don't need any off-road potential. I want a 250 mile per day ROAD bike!

14. upload_2020-9-10_23-49-26.png
    So, it doesn't have to ve a Multistrada! I reckon that this would be more fun! You can get panniers and it is trackday capable. With the touring kit, it comes in at £14.8k. Not mad power but more than enough!
    upload_2020-9-10_23-57-39.png
    This would do for a trip to Poland!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Get a scrambler icon. The ultimate touring weapon...

• Like Like x 2
  16. Are you taking the p...? A scrambler?

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. upload_2020-9-11_0-13-28.png
    I can't be doing with that exhaust. It offends me!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I don't mind the pipes, the standard end can is a bit shit but I think same could be said for most bikes..
    I think you need a scrambler...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. You don't happen to know where there is one for sale do you? ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. I do! And its a cracker!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information