1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Optimate 4 Charging

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Misterpink, Nov 19, 2017.

1. i might be having a senior moment, but do you have to change the optimate 4 to can-bus mode to charge? My 2010MY 1200mts came with the 2 prong lead already attached so I just plugged in?
    Thanks

2. My understanding is...

If your lead is wired straight to the battery then there is no requirement for Can-Bus. Can-Bus is used when the manufacturers charging point within the wiring loom is used.

3. Just plug it in to the optimate socket.
    All my bikes have optimate leads straight to batrery. No need to set to can bus on the charger.

Remember that the aux sockets are both fused, and only enabled with ignition on, so can't generally be used for charging. I understand the BMW aux sockets will 'wake up' when a charger is plugged in. My 2010 and 2012 multis definitely don't do this.

(Edit: just looked at the optimate site and it specifically says the can bus mode is for BMW bikes)

#3 John W, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  4. I've got mine connected to the diag port in canbus mode and it's doing it's thing.

5. Ok...what was throwing me off was the optimate lead I plugged into must have been fitted wrongly, using the clips direct to the battery now and it's fine.

6. Pin 1 of the diagnostic connector goes straight to a permanent live from the battery via fuse 6 (7.5A) in the rear fusebox and pin 2 to earth. There is no need for a canbus charger.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information