1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Optimate 4 Issue

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Beef, Apr 1, 2020.

1. My bike has been plugged in all winter, the optimate is fixed to the wall so I can see the lights when I wander past.
    Today I went to start the bike, unplugged the charger, key to hand and put the ignition on - nothing. Waved the key around, tried 4 or 5 times, still nothing.
    Plugged charger back in, light went back to green, put the ignition on & the charger now shows deep discharge and has gone into recovery! WTF :mad:

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  2. I've found that whenever I disconnect my Optimate and then reconnect it, it does what you have seen, go back to analysis and sometimes to recovery. Nothing immediate to worry about.
    Re the bike not switching on, first thing to do is check/replace the battery in your key- it's a CR 2032. Ask me how I know.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sometimes mine has a moody connection and I pay attention to see if it is actually charging.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have most of my bikes connected to Optimate 4s and have only once had an issue in all of those years when one of them seemed to get confused. Apart from that, they have been rock solidly reliable. :) :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  5. I don't think it's the battery as trying to put the ignition on when plugged back in got a reaction from Optimate.

I'll let the charger continue its recovery and try again......

6. When you say you were waving the key around, do you mean you’re not getting the bike to power on? Or is it powering up, but not starting on the button?

7. Not powering on - nothing at all!

8. Ok. Are you aware of the antenna position on the bike and being able to hold the fob near it to activate the power on? It’s in your hand book. It’s an alternative to using the pin code. Using that method, usually “wakes up” the fob after being layed up for a while.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Press the recovery button and see if bike wakes up, proves or disproves the bike battery or the key fob. As Nelly said!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Have you measured the battery voltage?

11. OK...... got side tracked yesterday changing fork springs & seals on my Buell!
    Went back to bike and put ignition on, all came on fine. :neutral:
    I didn’t try and start it as I need to shuffle bikes about. Email from Optimate say must be a knackered battery :thinkingface: cop out? A few others I know have had this happen, a few switch them off & on again once a fortnight. I’ll test the battery before I try and start her......

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. From Optimate:

From your description I suspect that you have a capacity issue with the battery. A battery with a capacity defect will still present a good voltage until a load is being imposed on it. This is why you had a green test result before you turned the ignition on. The charger going into save mode shows that the battery voltage is dropping below 12.4V when the ignition is switched on. The recovery program engaged will not be applying deep discharge program, it has a separate program for batteries which are moderately to heavily discharged.

13. Battery is definitely knackered. It’s been in the bike since Jul 16, and to be honest, I’ve never been happy with it, it’s a Motobatt MBT12B4 which was sold to me by a LBS for the bike. It’s CCA is a lot lower than the Yuasa which is why it’s always seemed to struggle starting up. I’ll be getting a new Yuasa on order..... then I’ll be switching the Optimate off & on once a week when the bikes plugged in!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information