1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optimate

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by BigAlan, Sep 9, 2017.

1. so I have an optimate connected to my battery and it seems to be charging and monitoring the battery, is the Ducati version any better, I ask because my bike was sluggish to start two weeks ago, have not used it until today and still sluggish to start but the optimate "seems to work".

Or am I being paranoid.

2. They are all sluggish to start. I use an Optimate too and its fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Fit a motobatt gel battery,it will start a war quicker than the yanks!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. An Optimate has more flashy lights, so is better. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Another vote for Optimate, have versions 4 & 5 and also one for a car and all do a good job

6. Remember to open the throttle a few millimeters especially as we start too approach the colder season. This then rev's the engine momentarily & gets the fluids flowing, release the throttle once it starts & it'll drop down to normal revs.

#6 GunZenBomZ, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  7. I've got a tried and tested Datatool one. Which is literally an optimate with a different label on it. It must be coming up to ten years old now and still going strong, use it for my car when the battery was dodgy last winter.
    I do admit though that I take the battery off mine for the winter and just keep it indoors in a kitchen cupboard, it never fails to start the bike :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. my Ducati optimal has packed up after 18months yet my optimate has lasted yrs n yrs

9. Same here, the recommended Ducati one packed in after a few months. Back with the Datatool one with no problems. I have one wired up for my campervan as well.

10. I use an Optimate 4, which was recommended to me by the dealer when I bought the bike. I had an Optimate 3 before, but the 4 is compatible with the Mutley's Can-Bus wiring. Apparently.

11. I've used a Triumph branded Optimate 3 for several years.
    I periodically connect it direct to the batteries (Multistrada and Bonneville) and it does what it should do.

12. Thread moved

13. I've had the same optimate for yonks. No incentive to move and I certainly wouldn't pay more for a branded one when you can get one from the guys that have been making quality ones for years.

Same argument I've seen on here with the Ducati watch thread. Spend the same (or less) on a better product.

14. Optimate here also. Recently bought one for my new lightweight batteries.....works good on those too...

15. I don't think you can do better than an Optimate 4
    My 1200 MTS turns over slowly, has done since day one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I was surprised to find an optimate charging cable under the seat of my 17 plate multistrada1200s instead of the expected ducati charging connection, luckily i have an optimal 4 and it works fine, and yes they do turn over slowly especially compared tom my old K1600.

17. I got one of those Optimate 4 twin things that do both my bikes. Handy. The 916 needs to be kept on the trickle. The Pani and my old 1198 seemed fine without, but i put them on anyways. I hate battery issues, theyre freaking annoying.

18. i have an optimate expensive, and a maypole cheep, i use the maypole for work tbh, i think the maypole is the better quality. pretty much taking a year out from biking so i have found myself using the optimate. i dont like keeping them connected 24/7. the odd day here and there should suffice

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information