1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oven Cleaner

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by NHM, Jan 27, 2019.

1. I've just cleaned the oven using Mr Muscle oven cleaner (well done, me). It's really, really effective - got rid of all sorts of baked-on stuff.

So, it got me to wondering whether it would be good for cleaning up really manky engine casings, or even cylinder heads/ pistons in an engine rebuild...

Has anyone tried it?

2. Is it acid based? It might work well on steel, I would worry about using it on aluminium.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. there is a product called turbo/EGR clean. i'm pretty sure its just expensive oven cleaner, not that i have ever reduced myself to cleaning one.
    upload_2019-1-27_13-36-56.jpeg
    you can use it when the engine is running, just spray it into intake. how it affects the shinny visible bits i aint sure.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. I reckon so - or maybe it is alkaline. A lot of people use it to remove aluminium anodising. It can be a bit hit amd miss though.

5. I used to use it for removing the coloured anodizing of aluminium parts, it did a good job of it as long as you didn't mind elbow grease afterwards to bring back the shine. as Arq said, it's a bit hit and miss so I doubt I would use over cleaner on bit parts myself.

If you want to use it, try a test on a bit that isn't seen and a small part at that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Did the whole frame on old 1993 Gixer pre polishing. Not oven cleaner though. You can buy Caustic soda from hardware store, which is what it is. If anyone uses it be very careful. Burn your eyes out with one splash. Apron Goggles & gloves. Full PPE.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Harpic Power cleaning for exhaust headers does work - I've used it. If you read up on it, it works by destroying the passivated layer that makes stainless - well, stainless. But if you remove the acidic HArpic thorougly, it won't cause pitting (which is the potential problem).

I don't know whether oven cleaner is the same - I tried it on my exhaust headers couple of years ago and it didnt' touch the brown stains on them.

I suppose on ally parts you probably just have to be careful rinsing it all off as well. And the elbow-grease that Noobs mentions.

When I next need to seriously degrease I'll give it a go. It's very impressive how it works on the oven!

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. :upyeah:
    Harpic 10x. For those that don’t want to watch. I’d heard about this before, then saw this vid last week as well. I’m giving it a go next Wed on my exhaust and other manky bits. I’ll report back.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Don’t do it. Ovens are stainless or enamelled steel, (most) engine casings are aluminium.
    Mr Muscle’s active ingredient is Caustic soda, which dissolves aluminium.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Well here's some pics of the results of Harpic 10x. Seems to me it works brilliantly.
    First, here's part of my exhaust. Manky, as you can see and taken off for cleaning.
    IMG_9957.jpg
    A dab of Harpic, worked in with a toothbrush, then rubbed in further with some steel wool. 2 mins tops.
    IMG_9959.jpg
    Then finished off with some Autosol, another couple of minutes of elbow grease, and voila.
    IMG_9965.jpg
    Next an aluminium throttle bell mouth. As you can see the corrosion is quite bad, black marks everywhere, (it's 20 years old), but focus on the big black mark at the bottom.
    IMG_9961.jpg
    A drop-off Harpic, toothbrush, then steel wool and the big black mark has almost completely gone.
    IMG_9962.jpg
    Again, an application of Autosol and it polishes up beautifully.
    IMG_9963.jpg
    Now for something really cruddy; a throttle body with 20 years gunk on it.
    IMG_9966.jpg
    And after a couple of minutes.....
    IMG_9969.jpg
    Now for the real test, a rusty 20 year old Dzus, which will be left to soak in the Harpic overnight.
    IMG_9970.jpg
    It seems to me the stuff works fantastically. Apply it, work it in, leave for a short while, wipe off, rinse off with a water spray, dry and then polish up. However, wear gloves and work in a well ventilated room as it does give off some vapours.
    IMG_9967.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Just dont get it on your skin, dont ask how but I managed to get on my face and in a cut on my hand, needless to say not a good move. Blisters became infected.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information