1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Over Heating

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Linx, Aug 24, 2019.

1. A friend of mine has recently bought an 1198. It's reasonable condition. Last MOT was May 2018 but he suspects it's been kept outside for a couple of years with very little use. He got it MOTd and on the road today but has noticed the temperature gauge is above 90 °C all the time. Even cruising along at 60 mph. He says give it any throttle and the temperature goes up. He's flushed and bled the cooling system but no change. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. if its not loosing coolant then i guess the usual stuff. thermostat, choked radiator or even a corroded or detached impeller on the pump.
    i have had this after a service was carried out but mine was sitting at 110C. apparently it was air locked after a coolant change.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Yes, air locks are common, keep topping up through the rad thermostat cap too.

4. My multi-enduro does the same in traffic on a hot summer day. In londinium it goes way over 100degrees.

5. Thanks. I'll pass it on. He's going to check the thermostat first.
    My Evo goes up to 100 in traffic quite quickly but comes down fine when moving. His temp seems to go up with speed.

6. Mine sat quite happily between 90 and 105 (when the fan cut in). I wasn’t so happy, the pipes under my arse were very uncomfortable!

7. Mine was sat at 76 degrees today at a steady 70mph - ambient was 29 degrees C. It went up to 84 through two sets of lights in Tadcaster... :motorcycleduc::sun:

8. They all run hot & get to 90+ very quickly but should come down to 70ish when there’s a constant airflow.

9. at the same time as noticing the temp gauge rise, i noticed the lack of warm/hot air on my legs. i dipped the Rad it was empty, but only took 400ml to fill.

10. Check water pump impeller hasn't come off.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information