1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pack Your Bags And Just Go

Discussion in 'Touring' started by RichieC, Aug 15, 2020.

1. I've always travelled on my bikes, up north to see family mostly along with some tours in Europe. Great thing I'm learning about now though is how easy motorbike camping is - literally strap a home to your back seat and a few trinkets and go for a ride when you have a free day and half. It's epic fun, on your own or with a mate, and leaving it late means you know what the weather will be too and even better you can enjoy the excitement of not quite knowing where you're going to go.

I just got back from a trip to Gloucestershire and Devon, and a ride on the A39 - really great trip for anyone who fancies great roads and a sea view.

What's your plans? UK or abroad? Once in a while or as often as you can? I need tips to help get me off my arse more!

98F169E8-5454-4AC3-BD26-6F8A75DCD8FA_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Was due to be camping across France to Corsica and back next month. Whilst on Corsica I was going to stay in an apartment for five days as a base, practical things like washing and having a proper bed for a few nights whilst enjoying the island. Journey there and back, not rushing but taking in some great French roads and camping each night. The French know how to camp and their sites tend to be excellent. However, events over recent days means, in all likelihood, the trip will be canned until next year. All routes and stops planned, was really looking forward to it after an utterly shit year :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Agreed mate, it's been terrible but keep your chin up as France will still be there in '21 and you have an excuse to do some of those British routes you've always thought about - A39 was great fun, but there's all of Scotland and the Isles, the Peaks, Lakes, Dales, Valleys, and even the A272 if you're in the south! Maybe check out the Isle of Man or Wight, hell even the Scilles if you don't mind the longer ferry.. I remember reading once that a bike trip isn't a bike trip unless there's a ferry ride!

4. Used to ride the A39 to N.Devon surf spots 25 or so yrs ago. Speed limits different now, but still a lovely route:upyeah:
    Is the pic from your A39 trip? If so, where? Please:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. [QUOTE="Is the pic from your A39 trip? If so, where? Please:)[/QUOTE]

Technically no, not the actual route we did on the Saturday last week. The photo is from Pitch Perfect camping in Woolverton, nr Frome. We rode out from there to Glastonbury for coffee, then did the A39 basically Minehead to Barnstaple, with a stop for chips at the beach at Woolacoombe, then back along all sorts of roads a bit further south back to the campsite for another night. Really great camping: good facilities and small/cheap/easy/friendly. Definitely recommend them.

6. Technically no, not the actual route we did on the Saturday last week. The photo is from Pitch Perfect camping in Woolverton, nr Frome. We rode out from there to Glastonbury for coffee, then did the A39 basically Minehead to Barnstaple, with a stop for chips at the beach at Woolacoombe, then back along all sorts of roads a bit further south back to the campsite for another night. Really great camping: good facilities and small/cheap/easy/friendly. Definitely recommend them.[/QUOTE]
    Great, thanks, just down the road :) (Bristol)

7. Yes France will still be here in 2021, but brexit will have happened in the 1st of January and who knows what that will bring. I will be staying here and not rushing to return to the UK if I can help it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. I don’t blame you, must be lovely living there.

Brexit will happen on January 1st and I reckon they’ll work most of it out and after a bit of mud slinging it will settle down. We’ll be wondering what all the fuss and misinformation was about.

A bit like the Millennium bug and not joining the Euro.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. I'm supposed to be away 4-19.9.20. Poitiers, Jaca, Roses, Provence, Albertville, Varese, Como, Garmisch Partenkirchen & Monschau. If France is a no go, I'll do castle route in Germany, Dolomites, Italian Lakes, then back to Bavaria to meet friends.
    Fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Was in Germany for a month long tour last year. Had to stay in Monschau for a few days as I remember it well from my RAF days in about 1979.
    I'll bet that the same restrictions will apply to Germany as they do to France once Boris has his way.
    The brexit thing is still an unknown but will apply to a visit to anywhere in the EU after the first of January.

• Like Like x 1
  11. We're staying in Monschau for our last 2 nights before coming home. My mates an ex squaddie and had to stay in Bavarian Alps, that's why we're going to Garmisch for 3 nights.

12. Good attitude!!
    I did 9 countries through Europe over 7 weeks last year.
    I had a plan to ride down through France to the Maritime Alps in NW Italy and do a few days mountain biking but COVID killed that so the plan is now to tour Wales with an itinerary based on wild swimming spots and top seafood eating!!
    Each to their own but it’s a great way to travel and be part of the environment.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information