1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paint Code 900ss 2002 Yellow....

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Speedy23, Mar 16, 2021.

1. I now realise the statement re. the colour yellow may be construed as being somewhat provocative.

If it makes up for it, the 900SS isn't the first yellow bike I've owned.

This was:
    image.jpeg.jpg

2. You’re gonna need bigger sun glasses!
    :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Paint code or colour? Pretty please? Is there a touchup stick that is correct?

Also, a subject that will touch the hearts of 1000's....mirrors. Those fairing mounted jobbies look fairly vulnerable/delicate.....what are the options for replacements?

4. Take a look at my old thread 'yellow superlight MK1 look'

[/QUOTE]

#5 wolfram, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. That's a Honda CJ250T, isn't it? You don't see many of those around!

I can remember an acquaintance turning up on a brand new one somewhere back in the late 70s (I assume), and then, strangely, seeing one in surprisingly good condition in the window of Hein Gericke in Reading, for sale, just a few years ago (before HG went bust of course). It had something in common with the 900SSie - a late-life reissue of an old model! I feel I can say that because I have a 900SSie myself.

Re touch-up paint, that paint code kindly provided by Wolfram does turn up at least one cheap option in eBay. It must be worth a try. I recently bought some touch up paint for another old bike from an eBay seller and it's just fine, and a good deal at £5.99 for 25ml ("ukautospares", but it seems they only offer Ducati red at present).

• Like Like x 1
  6. ..."That's a Honda CJ250T, isn't it?" Yes. "You don't see many of those around!"...there's good reason for that. It's the old cam running directly in the head coupled with big H's "centrifugal (so-called) oil filter".....despite Jock Kerr's noble efforts, that's what killed most of those type of engine off.
    I laugh when people wax lyrical about the fabulous handling on the legendary 400/4...because in the interests of economy, the cycle parts were exactly the same as the 250/360T bikes, which themselves didn't have, shall we say, a stellar reputation....

A bit like how they all go on about the CBX1000...the forks are basically the same units fitted to the 250/400 Superdreams.

Thanks for the paint info....will check it out. Trying to work out how to stiffen up the mirrors ATM. Any ideas?

7. You need to sand your balls...

8. Trying to work out how to stiffen up the mirrors ATM. Any ideas?

There should be an Allen bolt in the ball joint that when tightened add resistance to the movement of the mirror.
    If memory serves its behind the rubber cover.
    Take it off and inspect.

9. It's reassuring to know that the 900SS has separate cam shaft supports and ball bearings. Maybe it's overkill - I think most Japanese engines still run with cams directly in alloy cylinder head but they do keep their oil clean with proper filters unlike the old Honda engines with centrifuges. The Honda 175/200 design was a little better because it too had separate cam carriers (but no ball bearings) which were cheap to replace when unpleasantness had happened, although the cams and rockers always seemed vulnerable. It's comical that Honda apparently developed the CG125 engine which had pushrods to replace the previous OHC CB125 single (which I thought was indestructible anyway) because it reduced risk of top-end wear-out; presumably they still didn't fit paper filters though; in fact I don't think I've ever seen one on an engine that small. Speaking of filters, I hope you've had success in replacing the one on your 900; Ducati created the possibility for that to be rather difficult - plenty more info at this forum if you need it!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information