1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icon Paint Flaking - Corrosion

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by Kirky, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Headlight/Indicator mount frame

Just over 2 years old....not impressed. May be worth a check on your own Scramblers.

I wonder what chance of replacement part from Ducati as matter of goodwill?

Plan to remove loose paint and corrosion and try re-painting. Anyone else done similar? Scrambler Corrosion.jpg
    Cable around the headstock not so clever either:
    Scrambler Corrosion 2.jpg

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. thats a bit shit! will check mine tomorrow...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mine is 5 years old and still good. I have a little bit of flaking on the horizontal cam cover that I'm intending to take off to clean it up then repaint with an etching primer and satin black. Probably do it soon with this enforced no riding.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Out of interest, do you ride through the winter?

My son has done and I suspect this is the reason for the corrosion.

5. No. I don't use my bikes between mid November to mid March. Far too much salt on our Scottish roads. That could account for the corrosion on his.

6. Yes I agree, it's not a good look.

7. I've never liked it either although the Dart screen I've fitted helps disguise it.
    The throttle cable could be easily dealt with by rotating the twistgrip assembly down and rerouting the cable and shortening it if necessary.
    The brake line presents a bigger problem though. It would be easy enough to rotate the banjo downwards at the m/cylinder but what to do with the excess length? It would need a new brake line all the way back to the ABS unit.

8. E13C7614-D54F-4372-9640-C10F04514EBC.png The routing was done that way on purpose to mimic the 1960’s Scrambler guys, I re-routed mine when I fitted flat bars, not difficult, just rotate the banjo on the brake pipe, no need to alter the brake pipe length.

F055C81E-EC9C-4285-934E-7D17AB02BC52.png

#8 Mark9, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. I’d say that fairly typical of riding a Ducati on Winter roads, did your Son give it a generic anti corrosion treatment before Winter? There’s a Scrambler in a Kawasaki dealer over in Derby I spoke to last year about, he kinda described as in poor condition. Even on the eBay pictures it looks poor.

10. I do not mind the cable routing on my Scrambler ...

20200222_122707.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  11. Yes the winter takes its toll but didn't expect the paint to so comprehensively give up and flake off. He used ACF50 but not on any painted surfaces.
    Now need to find a bead blaster/stove enamelled still open for business.

12. That looks like a beauty Peter!

13. 20200222_122443.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 2
  14. I'm aware of that but I still don't like the look.

Yes, that looks much better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. The bike is still being deep-cleaned and have found a bead blaster/powder coater that'll do the headlight mount for £30 :)
    Scrambler 3.jpg

16. I took a leaf out of your book @Mark9 and rotated the brake line downwards and I'm very happy with the result. The brake line clears the screen with no problem. Since I have heated grips I'm unable to rotate the throttle assembly but the cable runs behind the m/cylinder reservoir and lines in nicely with the brake hose just beyond it. Thanks for the tip. IMG_20200410_144119.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Better for brake bleeding too without that high loop!

#17 Keith_P, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  18. looks good Derek, I like the polished pipes as well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information