1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Paint,oil Or Brake Fluid Damage??

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Danny88, May 10, 2018.

1. hi everyone, quick question for anyone in the know.

Posted my first ride out on the 916 on weekend as purchased in January so first real look over it in daylight really since purchase.

There seems to be, over all good frame and wheels some sort of staining? Looks like oil from a spillage but it absolutely does not come off even with high amounts of cleaning etc.

Wondering if anyone has seen this before, some pics below, this is even up near the top yoke?

D9D155A7-E053-4B04-AC53-8737C8FB1338.jpeg

7B759774-85A2-4374-8B00-F4A50FF25CE6.jpeg

AC9A9A2A-A1F3-469C-83DF-7797C2AF9052.jpeg

1AB2E7DE-289A-42BF-9047-939C869C29D8.jpeg

5D907CB2-C220-4025-BEB4-26C31D1CE5D9.jpeg

2. Looks very much like someone has applied a cleaning product which has unfortunately reacted with the gold paint. I had a similar experience some years ago when a wheel cleaner turned the alloy rims on my BMW 1150GS milky white. No amount of polishing would get rid of it.

I'll have a look at mine this evening but pretty sure it doesn't look like that.

3. Thanks for the reply, you could well be right. Was hoping for a quick remedy but I doubt that will be the case.

4. Looks like it's been cleaned with TFR (traffic film remover), the stuff car washes use. Leave it too long or don't wash it off well enough and it'll stain alloy, anodizing etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. That brings back some horrific memories o_O Back 15years or so i worked with a haulage firm, We used traffic film remover to prep hgv's for mot, think it was called transit 2000 or transport 2000 cant mind but i was pretty lucky as i had done only my wheels, I had used it pretty neat to remove chain lube, Terrible stuff, Never used any such thing again, Nothing would bring the wheels back to the way they were, Had to treat her to a nice new pair of mag marchesini's :), Not sure what you could do with that mate

#5 jack999s, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
  6. I don’t think there is anything for me to do, it isn’t major just wanted to know what it was but I think you guys are correct, it certainly seems like that sort of thing. The bike runs beautifully so it’s all good.

7. Have you tried a bit of Tcut or similar?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Not yet, I’ll defiantly think about it. Never come across this before Sony don’t want to make anything worse. Think that would work?

9. Looks Like TFR staining or similar.....you could try shifting it with Bilt Hamber Surfex HD and a soft detailing brush.....otherwise the only way is to apply some compound onto a microfibre and rubbing the affected areas which will DEFFO work 100%.....buy some Auto Finesse Tripple which is an AIO and should work a treat....a pea sized drop onto microfibre and rub.....tahdah....

• Like Like x 3
  10. Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for your advice, I’ll defiantly do that now I know it’ll work.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information