1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paint Pen For Small Scratch?

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by hyper95, Jul 20, 2018.

?
  1. Yes. Colour is matched very well too.

2. Yes. Colour doesn't match well, but it draws less attention than a white scratch...

3. Don't bother, it's useless.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Hello all,

Has anyone used a paint pen to cover up small scratches on their paintwork?

I dropped my bike and the right fairing has a smallish (~20mm) and thin scratch. It's gone through the clear coat and through the base colour coat, so products like T-cut or Meguiars X-scratch are pointless.

I was thinking of trying a paint pen from ColoRite or TouchUpDirect (see schreenshots below). They seem to have paints dedicated to each model, not sure how accurate the colour will be.

Anyone used these or any other brands? Or has anyone got an alternative suggestion? (besides the obvious "take it to paint shop").

ColoRite option below:
    Screenshot_20180720-174808_Samsung Internet.jpg

TouchUpDirect below:
    20180720_181514.jpg
    20180720_181444.jpg
    20180720_181410.jpg

2. Hi Hyper95,
    There s no rocket science to applying paint. There is however a heap of patience and time to make a proper job.
    Sounds quite straightforward your dilemma.
    Simply a matter of a steady hand and apply paint to the scratch. Leave for at least half hour to dry. You will see it looks crap, so you need to repeat several times to bring the paint level higher than that of the parent paint level. Patience and time are required to allow to harden.
    1000 grit abrasive to sand back the level of parent paint work, with water. Water makes it less aggressive.
    You need daylight to check the level....high is good, low s bad.
    If it’s high, a little more sanding, if it’s low, add more paint.
    Once the level goes s pleasing to the eye and to touch, then use toothpaste to polish, its finer than Tcut. Firm up and down motion, then from left and right motion.
    Finally add polish for glossing up.
    There are lacquer pens if the gloss is lost, but that depends on the type of paint used.
    No of this is exncive, but it is time consuming ..... don’t rush it. Do it over several days, I’m sure you’ll be happy

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. And once you've completly fucked the whole area chalk it up to experience and pass it to a pro.

IME.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Now that’s the pessimistic response from someone with shaky hands

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Hey Hyper.

You are only in Gateshead, you could look my friend in Sunderland up and get him to spot repair it for you.

http://www.carandbikemagic.co.uk/

Here's a couple of links to work I've had done by him. :upyeah:

Alloy Tank

Seat unit

@Nigel Machin had a Hyperstrada tank painted by him.

As @Cream_Revenge says, if you are going to use a touch up pen, prepare to spend the money twice if the repair being visible is going to bother you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Or cover with a sticker ... for now *

*(It’ll still be there when you sell the bike, in reality)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Yeah, or that! :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Someone with experience, shakey hands and rapidly failing patience, time and eye sight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Smudger thanks for the details and steps! Appreciate your input. I will definitely give it a try. As for the paint itself, do you recommend any of the two sources I've mentioned?

Also, for those interested, the scratch(es) looks something like this.

20180521_192909.jpg 20180521_201353.jpg

10. Robarano thanks for the advice. Initially that was my idea, but after have a "cool down" period, I gave it further though and I personally think it's not worth £250 for a professional spot paint repair (which where the prices I was receiving when asking for quotes from several places).

l'm using the bike daily and plan on doing so for the coming years (except for those intense winter days) and I intend to track it too, so I've accepted that keeping it in a "show room" condition is not realistic.

11. Please please please post the post pics

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hyper, Can’t recommend the paint type you have posted, cos never used them. But I’m sure they will be fine.
    I work all over the world and visit OEM sites for motorcycles and cars of main stream manufacturers,

Spot repair is all about building the paint higher than the parent paint, then gently levelling back. Of course with fast rotating air tools the job is very quick. Followed by compounds and buffing pads. All of which most of us don’t have at home.
    All manufacturers including Ducati have QC departments that are dealing with such defects every day.
    The principle is the same.
    The guys working with defects have one valuable characteristic, an eye for detail and perfection.

As I said, patience and time with DIY...and you can achieve the same.

Small strips of abrasive 1000 grit no wider than needed, cut with scissors 3mm x 200mm, put this under your thum with gentle pressure on top of the high point of paint and pull the abrasive fast to level, this way you won’t disturb the good paint. Final polish (toothpaste is very gentle on the paint, so gives good gloss), you will not tell the difference.

Time and patience when at home without the power tools. A detailer would do that job in Half hour ish with power tool and make a brilliant job, you can do the same but takes longer.

Post pictures when you’ve done to show the doubting Tom’s
    Cheers

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Would a pin stripe look good or two

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I know naff all about paint but I would say an area of that size would look pants trying to touch up with a paint pen .
    Find a local guy to spray the whole panel ?
    I had a front mudguard and small rear hugger sprayed for £70, so worth it . I would have spent half that on paint etc, cocked it up and then paid someone to do it properly .

17. Smart repair it....I ONLY ever do touch ups with a cocktail stick...never a brush....you will always see brush lines...a smart repairer will have it sorted...look for you in your local area on google.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. I used a guy in Huntingdon recommended by a forum member he charged me £100, similar size mark but mine was deeper, in under an hour it was brand new again and I didn't have to stress, I would recommend the pro route rather than DIY personally, there is an art to not making it look like a DIY job.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information