1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 Paint Protection

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Red5xJudge, May 2, 2017.

1. Hi

just ordered my new 959 and the dealer has offered MotoGP ceramic paint protection which seems to be like what Ive seen in the past on Cars (Supagard etc....). Was just wondering what people thought and if any experience of whether its any good. I know that its intended to protect against the weather and its various elements rather than Stone chips. I had been thinking of having Ventureshield fitted to avoid the stone chips. Any comments and advice would be appreciated
    cheers
    J

2. I'll be interested in the feedback. My bike is a year old and I wish I'd done something when it was new as its now got several stone chips and rubbing marks :-(

• Like Like x 2

3. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Get the ventureshield fitted before it turns a wheel !!

The red paint is quite soft and chips easily, get it done now before you use it, the bike will look much better for it in a years time!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. I think it depends how the bike has been purchased and intended length of ownership and anticipated mileage
    If it's purchased on a PCP and you intend changing it every 2-3 years i wouldn't go to the expense

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. That was my original idea.

But now the 1299 twins are discontinued , I think she's a keeper :)

7. I've gone Ventureshield. A coating erodes over time and provides very little impact to a stone, or chips upon impact. A plastic barrier, i.e. venturesheild is a physical layer. I've had my nose piece replaced already where it caught some stone chips, £50 to replace the panel fitted and back to new. The main thing was whilst it dented the shield which in itself takes some force (look at the videos where they try to push a biro through it), the paint underneath was untouched.
    I've had my front hugger and a few other bits done as well, even had three helmets done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like Like x 1
  8. i had suzuki glass guard coating on my suzuki gsxr all my mates thought i was cleaning it all the time had ventureshield on 2 other gsxrs now have is on 1299 i still prefer the coating

• Like Like x 1
  9. I had ventureshield on my 899 and now I've got it on the 959. It's good. It works. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. the venture shield on mine is thiner cat remember the name got in fitted in glasgow ducati

11. Thanks for the feedback

Can I ask how noticeable is it on the bike?

hanks for the

12. I'll put some pics up later :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like Like x 1
  13. As i'm struggling to get PPF fitting to my bike I'm looking at this Ceramic Coating. I'm tempted that's for sure.

14. Res, I've just bought a kit from these people :-

DUCATI - 1299 -2015 - DIY Full Kit

Just over £90 and not that difficult to fit

15. Have to say mate, this seems an incredibly short sighted viewpoint?
    The OP is looking at spending £14k or so for a 959 and you don't think investing £90 quid to keep it looking good after 3 years is a good idea?

Even a PCP company would want any damage repaired so it would probably cost you more than that in the long run ??? :rolleyes:

#15 Poucher, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  16. Thanks for the link. I'm a little concerned I'll just throw the £90 away doing it myself, but that's where I think I'm heading. One well known guy in the industry who has said he will come and do it, doesn't seem to be able to come back with a price or when. Think he just doesn't want to travel which is fair enough but I wish he'd just said no, then I could make a decision. Looks like I'm gunna have to bite the bullet :)

Do you have any tips for fitting?

#16 ResB1299, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  17. How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking? A guy local to me is quoting £250 plus extra £30 for bespoke lower fairing as I will have the 959 with the Trioptions cup kit so underslung Akras fitted
    Thanks

18. Its charged at £230 allegedly

• Like Like x 1
  19. I fitted mine myself with zero experience and have done an okay job. Its not perfect but I am a perfectionist anyway. Couple of tips for you:
    1. Block out the day and take your time. I had to take some pieces off many times before I was happy.
    2. Check out Youtube, there are plenty of video's.
    3. Keep your fingers wet with the soapy solution otherwise you will mark it.
    4. Use plenty of soapy solution, you can't use too much.
    5. Be gentile with the rubber squeegee. The paint is so soft I actually scratched my seat cowel with it.

Good Luck

• Like Like x 1
  20. There's a good video on the chipguard link, or have a look on youtube.

A couple of things I found made it easier :-

Surface preparation is mega critical, any slight chip or raised mark or fly remains will show up, try and get it as clean as possible, wipe it over with meths to de-grease it and then "flush" it over completely with the soap solution to rinse any lint particles off it, don't be shy use loads of solution so it wets out completely.

Try and do it in a garage where there's no dust blowing about.

Buy a big washing up bowl and fill it with the soapy solution, take the backing off the film in here.

Always keep your hands wet, dip them in the bowl before you touch the sheet, that way you don't get any fingerprints on the sticky side of the sheet.

Keep the silicone applicator in the soapy bowl until you need to use it, then spray loads of soapy solution on top of the film so it slides easily when you start squeegeeing over the top of film, press on quite hard as you move over the film to expel water / bubbles, take your time doing a small section at a time to make sure bubbles are expelled.

Start on an easy, flat, non curved piece first, just to get used to handling the film, if your not happy how its lined up, re-position the film before you start squeegeeing it, spray more solution under it if you have to lift a corner or something to move it.

Above all, work slowly over a small section at a time to ensure you've got the air bubbles out, this sounds easy but they are difficult to see when the film is covered with spray.

Once you've done a section, dry it off with kitchen towel to check your happy with it.

Get a hair dryer on warm heat and run it all along the edges of the film whilst you press them down to make sure they are well stuck, nothing looks worse than an edge not stuck down that then fills with road dirt, you can't shift it then.

You'll soon get the hang of it if you practice on the smaller bits first, take your time and be patient with it.

Good luck! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information