1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 Painting 1299 End Cans

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Stewarty, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Hi,

I've just received a 1299 system to fit on my 959 but the end cans are looking a bit tatty and could do with a rub down and a spray of paint. Has anyone done this with decent results? I'm a complete novice when it comes to painting and prep so any help or guidance would be welcomed

Thanks
    Stewart

2. Just use heat resistant paint.

3. Cheers, I had figured out that much lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Good quality heat resistant paint. The art of a good finish is in the prep.

it is easier to get a good finish out of a gun than it is a can. Light even coats.

If in doubt get it done professionally. Shouldn’t cost a lot.

5. If you want them silver and can get hold of it, I recommend Krylon, high heat alumium.
    Not easy to find but it's just such a good paint for heat, finish and toughness. I'm terrible with a rattle can but that stuff is magic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just done this and used a couple of high temp enamel cans from Halfords. Mine weren’t in too bad condition so just rubbed them down with scotchbrite. Iirc they were rated for 650°.

#6 bettes, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Just making sure you don't use dulux

• Like Like x 1
  8. I have a brand new 1299 system that you can have cheap? Never fitted.

9. I've got a full system bud but the cans had seen better days. Wish I knew about this a few weeks ago, I had waited months to get my hands on a system and been offered 2 in the last few weeks.

10. I've rubbed them down and got all the old paint off. I'm just waiting on the temperature getting up a bit in the garage before I give them a spray.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I would look into Cerakote on the cans. Finish is baked on and highly resistant to chemicals and abrasion.

I have used these guys in the past and very happy. http://www.hi-speccoatings.co.uk/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hi Chris,
    I have considered getting them Cerakoted. My plan is too spray them and see how they turn out and if it's crap I'll get them Cerakoted next year.

13. It’s all about the preparation when your looking at rattle can options! And of course the right type of paint. The only downside with changing to the underslung system if your painting it yourself will be how durable the finish will be as it will be prone to stone chips. Not the same application I know but I painted this one sometime ago with great results. It was originally silver and grey but just fancied a darker colour so opted for satin black finish.

8D0F6D2A-29F1-42A1-ADCF-B10A3E814A2B.jpeg

14. Yeah the position of the cans makes them prone to getting chipped. I'll give it a bash and see how it goes, nothing to loose. That looks a great finish you've got there :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Definitely worth ago. Like I said preparation is key. I’m sure as long as you use the right product and let it fully harden it should be fine. I used Halfords paint but perhaps shop around as plenty to choose from. Temperature up to 500c

9069D515-587B-48AC-B07A-E2B3C84FAB73.png

16. PXL_20210205_164507729.jpg PXL_20210205_164523580.jpg PXL_20210207_100619772.jpg PXL_20210206_221219309.jpg

Happy with how these have came out and the bike looks and sounds a lot nicer.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Job’s a good un!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Now a bit of Scottish brite, autosol and elbow grease will have that horizontal mid pipe looking a mile better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. I was going to be lazy and leave it but I think you've shamed me into it :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Soz mate! :).

but now you mention it, I was thinking about painting that black too to match the cans. In fact, I’m going through a stage of wanting to get rid of all the silver anodising and go black. What do you reckon?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information