1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting And Decorating Advice Please.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by portboy, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Just received an estimate from a tradesman in the Valley to re-decorate my 3 bedroom semi detached house its a 1930's property he comes highly recommended.
    He has quoted for 3 bedrooms, hallway, landing and stairs, lounge and dining room.
    Work to include all ceilings (recently re-boarded and plastered) all gloss paintwork. Apart from the lounge and dining room, all walls with anaglypta paper stripped and walls made good or papered with thick lining paper depending wall condition and repainted. Two chimney breasts to be pattern papered lounge and dining room.
    £3000 to £2400 which he has broken down into all scenarios what are your thoughts please?

I was going to do it but the good lady is not at all happy about that. Nearly 70 now and as wide as i am tall so maybe she right.
    The kitchen can wait for another day its not that bad at all.

One of the steeds in the garage may have to go regrettably but when needs must and all that.

2. When budgeting for trades like decorating I work on £200 a day, and it will normally come in under that. So establish how many days they'll be on the job and hey presto you have your budgeted figure :)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Is that £200 per person a day excluding materials ?

4. Had a painter on £150 a day recently but it was all white matt inside. Ceilings, walls, landing, stairs, bedroom, bathroom lounge and kitchen. No gloss work, no wall paper, no bannisters and me doing most of the prep and it took 3 days, so £450 and I provided all the materials

5. The prices quoted are for all materials except the patterned paper for the chimney breast, the skirting boards are quite knocked about but are the old original ones ( i want to keep them ) he will fill them and rub down . I would estimate at least 10 days work for single person the stairs and landing are a nightmare.

6. By the sound of it all walls will need lining paper, 1400 grade,
    Each bedroom 4 days
    Lounge 4 days
    Dinner 4 days
    Stairs 8 days
    Total 20 days
    £150 x 20 = £3000
    £200 x 20 = £4000
    + materials

Bedroom
    Strip anaglypta/make good 1 day
    Line walls 1 day
    paint ceiling/walls, fill rubdown 1 day
    Undercoat/gloss 1 day
    Use this as a guide as i haven't seen the bedrooms.

Stairs
    Strip make good 2 days
    Line 2 days
    Paint Ceiling/wall 2 days max
    Undercoat/gloss 2 days
    Again a guide, how many doors frames, tall stair well etc.

Lounge, same for Dinner
    Strip 1 day
    Line 1 day
    Paint ceiling/ walls and undercoat 1 day
    Gloss 1/2 day
    Paper 2 hours

All a guide and + materials, i use Dulux 95% of the time, 5 litres Vinyl matt £48 / colour.

#6 Roadtrip, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

Just kidding, good skills :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Just guessing ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Always get three quotes & then you'll know if competitive or not:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. So if you own a crumbling mansion with fifty rooms plus,you're totally fu###d:eek:

11. 500 pounds per room is a good ball park figure according to our decorator.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Just hope your fifty room mansion doesn't need a new roof.!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. My son-in-law is a professional decorator. He says that quote sounds about right for the UK (outside London), possibly a touch on the low side, so if the man is reputable/recommended and has credentials it seems OK. I would expect double that where I live.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Yes £200 a person but I’d expect paint included (gloss and/or emulsion)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. I had my new house repainted a few years back basically to repair nail pops and fine cracks

Every room all walls ceilings and gloss / varnish

It’s a big house 6 bedroom 4 bathroom 3 reception and kitchen

He was there 1 guy 5 weeks at 100 a day

So 2500 plus 1000 in paint and 200 in paper

Just minor repair work as it was less than 2 years old at time

I moved everything so he had clear rooms

So based on what you have said

I would say your 3000 is about right as your house while smaller will be more work papering and remedial.

I am from the valleys so rare of 70 to 120 a day + materials for a decorator / mate

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. 'He comes highly recommended".....:upyeah:
    You could pay £1000 including materials... But bet you wont be laughing when you end up with a Sh*t Job.
    He's broken down into all scenarios.......
    Pay him you tight git!
    :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. paying Extra for good tradesmen is worth it

We had some external windows painted at the same time as our neighbours - theirs were looking tatty after 12 months & need redoing - ours look like new still

The time spent prepping is money well spent

Before & after pics now required!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Like you used to do I normally do decoration at home myself and although not hard it's a slog, based on what you have said I would agree you have a reasonable quote for a good decorator.
    El T's 200/day would also be reasonable as a budget :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Thanks to all for input, yes i have given the man the green light he booked me in for August. There a couple of lads who would do it on the hobble ( cash in hand , no questions ) for about £40- £50 a day.

I would rather pay the rate have the professionalism and reliability, he works on his own been self employed for ten years . Just started a family with a good work ethic a rare thing these days.

Looks like old "Brutus" (my old mid 50's 500c BSA mud plugger) may have to go State Pension can't pay them sort of bills.

20. Looks like old "Brutus" (my old mid 50's 500c BSA mud plugger) may have to go State Pension can't pay them sort of bills.[/QUOTE]
    Shame, but I guess it's part of the pension pot you control....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information