1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Panigale As A Track Bike.

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by NoGutsNoGlory, Sep 19, 2019.

1. After the demise of my RSV4 I'm looking at buying a 1299 as my track bike. I'm after any advice from people who have run them on track as to what they need and any problems encountered.

I'm looking at buying a very low mileage base model road bike and converting it myself.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Glad you are back! 1299....Well it's like my 1199....but a bit more civil.
    I'll PM you in a mo...

• Like Like x 1
  3. You need to sort the god awful suspension for a start I reckons

• Like Like x 2
  4. great bikes, i was running a 1299s and have now a 1199s as track tool. the 1299 has huge torque, and i found it would get its self a little out of shape on the gas, rear spring changed as im 100kg and also the Evo update for the TC and it calmed the intervention down, and was transformed.
    heat can be an issue, even with a fan, so i have a JMR race radiator with Oil and coolant matrix, bike is running 87 degrees down from 105-107 without fan.
    noise can be a factor as static test will fail always, and ride by the termi cans seem less noisy than Akra's with DP eaters fitted.
    low end fuelling can be sorted with a rapid bike unit for small money

• Like Like x 3
  5. Just so happens I have a ktech dds pro shock for sale for an 1199 lol.
    (Insert shameless plug):p

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Welcome back :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Am I better getting the S version for the suspension or the base model then fitting a fork kit and changing the rear shock which is the way I was planning to go?

8. Missed it more than I thought I would when I went to Portimao last week. I was dying to get out on track especially when one of my mates broke the 2 minute lap which I was hoping to do on my next visit.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Get the s. I bought the base model then spent 3 k on springy bits. I should have bought the s

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Imho if you don’t need any other bits that are on the S over the standard (I don’t know the models) I’d go base and have a kit for the front and ttx shock. 1500 the lot and even less of you get lucky with used.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I do fancy Portimao again sometime. It's been ages... What say's you @carson ?? Think my shift pattern will change after Xmas so we can maybe have a shake down :)

12. Have you thought about a base V4 Nick? Customise the suspension and an Evo2 software upgrade and you'll have a mighty (and latest) track toy....
    The Evo2 is brilliant. Just shit scared of hopping on the 1098R now. Remember not to gas it, remember not to gas it, remember not to gas it... :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. That's the problem with modern bikes , if you jump on something older you gota remember how to ride properly again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. True. But the whiz bang electronics illustrate just how much grip you have.

• Like Like x 1
  15. No electronics really illustrate how much grip you have...go hard gas with over 170hp and no aids ;)

16. Well of course. I've felt the back end skip out of line many times on the 1098R whilst being a little too keen on the gas. But electronics may well save you a trip to A&E. And that's not a bad thing.
    I was doing a TD with a lad on an S1000RR (puff's bike, I know) and his TC packed in. So he packed his bike and fucked off :astonished: He reckoned it was far too dangerous riding without TC. I remember thinking 'what a fanny'
    I love riding the R. But you do have to bear in mind it's a raw, twitchy bastard when pushing on.

• Like Like x 1
  17. What a plonker! Just pull the gas a bit slower! What a waste of a trackday.

Modern slicks are mega when hot, IME they just wear out a lot quicker without TC when you have high power

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I'm no expert, but I've heard a number of times that the OEM ohlins stuff is not as good as the stuff you buy seperately. There are, moreover, arguably better, and better value options available, such as k tech which are really popular. I have a base 1199 with front and rear k tech, and it was transformed from standard. I bought second hand units and had them resprung and built for me, and it's fantastic, so I'd recommend that route. You often get second hand units on here, such as DB's which he's kindly offered! They tend to hold value too once bought second hand so a cheap investment.

Plus, I think the big piston Mazzer forks actually look better than the gold Swedish stuff, so winning on every front!

Enjoy; I find my 1199 the most terrifying and exciting thing I've ever thrown a leg over (hope the wife doesn't see this...)

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. I'd be more worried about the mistress seeing it ;) lol

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information