1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Panigale R “improvements”

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by ibgarrow, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Just hypothetically, if one was to acquire a Gen 2 Panigale R later this month, what would one lucky soul need to know to make any essential ‘improvement’ to such a paragon?
    I understand the non-folding mirrors are a PITA and have earmarked Moto-Science for such (though these don’t look so attractive as the originals)
    The non-cat Akrapovic are probably out of £ range (now that the budget has been comprehensively blown more but don’t tell *her* that)
    Heated grips seem to spark some dissent, OEM or aftermarket. (I’m *old*, you see, had my Covid innoculation back in Feb)

• Like Like x 1
  2. New wheels really mate
    IMG-20210314-WA0000.jpeg

• Like Like x 15
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. No chance, considering the ‘budget shortfall”

4. well you dont need to do anything to it then, oh other than the throttle mod.:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I have half moon cf Ducati Performance clutch cover per Cooksters photo. DP fluid reservoirs. DP Matt tank protector. Full six CF rear seat hump/cover. Optimate charge lead plugs into std loom. Brembo SC pads.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I think I might have most on your list, except for the rear cover. Thnx

7. DP or lightech rearsets are on my want list and I forgot the obligatory throttle spacer mod that I have. I have the rear brake and gear change set to lowest possible angle and they are still slightly too high for my liking, and pegs themselves are too low for me.

• Like Like x 2
  8. i was lucky with mine it came with the hpk front discs, i got the rearsets and most of the carbon off here. Though i did buy the rear floating disc new at a ridiculously expensive price(which i never use but it matches the front).

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. What you need is some new paint on your shed.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Lower rad guard is an absolute necessity. It’s not standard.

11. The single best mod I made to my 1299 was an oberon clutch slave cylinder. Changed the clutch from horrible, snatchy and fading when hot - to just like a normal bike. made the bike so much easier/more pleasant to ride. About £100 and and hour to change.
    After that adjust the suspension to your weight unless you are around 100kgs when it'll be about right.
    Without the above the bike can be hard to ride - with them the bike will be great to ride - everything else is nice to have. The exhaust sounds amazing as standard anything after market will be too loud and not allowed on UK tracks.
    Lighter wheels are the next performance mod - make the bike even better to ride but not essential.
    The bike looks awesome standard
    All the carbon bits - lots of £'s - don't make any significant weight saving
    Alloy bits - in my opinion most of these make the bike look worse and add weight
    Rad guard - never had one on a sports bike for 30 years and >200k miles, and never had a rad failure. I rekon I've saved enough money not buying rad guards for all those bikes to buy a radiator if it ever happens.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  12. Both rads at the front, oil cooler is a exchanger set up below the abs pump, Panis are renowned for running hot , running cooler gives them more power, tri options bikes tend to run the fans all the time to help keep the temps down .

• Useful Useful x 2
  13. I had a rad fail on my 1198. Middle of dartmoor. Had to wait for aa, who along with me managed to get some rad weld in it to get me going again. Then had a mad dash in dying light with a dark visor to hotel on st austell through the lanes etc.
    I use guards now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Oh yeah. Oberon slave. Forgot that too. :)

15. Which brand would you recommend?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. On those bikes the rad guard can cause the issue with splitting the weld at the top. This was a known fault anyway. Under heavy braking, like track, if guard too far away the front wheel fouls and adds pressure to the top weld iirc.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Good to know my bike has the Oberon and rad guards already :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information