1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Panni 1199s Td Use - Can Changing Rear Tyre Size Cause Tc Issues ?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Spud312r, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Hi team

I use the Pani 1199S for trackday use and have been using Pirelli SC's (sc1/sc2) for years but am considering trying the Bridgstome V01 slicks or even the Pirelli Superbike Slicks 200/60 rear

The manual states for the race mode TC to work properly the size must be 200/55 rear

The bridgstones are slightly differnet sizes to the SC's and wonder if they will affect the Traction Control or geometry

200/655 bridgstone v02 medium
    120/600 17R bridgstone v02 soft/medium

Also the Pirelli slicks are 60 profile not teh 55 profile which make the Dia/Circum bigger

Is anybody using either of them on track and any issues with the TC etc ??

2. Looking back over previous posts asking a similar question, the concensus appears to be not below a setting of 4. If you prefer a higher level of intervention then more than likely yes. Andy

3. Cheers Andy

In the manual its seems DTC mode 1 is for race compounds and DTC 2 for the OEM tyres...

Its quite concerning when its states "Warning"..

I will be switching from DTC2 to DTC 1 for track using Pirelli Sc2 on the rear - if i choose the Bridgstone or a 200/60 profile tyre it may not function as expected ..

I know when i had the Gripone TC on my MV i had to eneter the tyre circumferance if i changed from a 55 to a 60 profile

DTC modes

1 RACE Track use, for very expert riders, optimised for Pirelli tyres
    with SC2 compound.
    System permits sliding sideways.

2 RACE Track use, for very expert riders, optimised for OEM tyres
    (Original Equipment Manufacturer).
    Permits sliding sideways.
    It is the default level
    for the “RACE” Riding
    Mode
    3 RACE Track use for expert riders.
    Permits sliding sideways.

Warning
    The DTC level 1 setting has been calibrated
    using the tyres with SC2 compound (Pirelli Diablo
    Supercorsa SC2) that are not those originally supplied
    with your motorcycle. The use of this level with tyres
    having different characteristics may alter the
    operating characteristics of the system.

The DTC levels 2-3-4-5-6-8 settings have been
    calibrated using the tyres originally supplied with your
    motorcycle (Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP 120/70ZR17
    at the front and 200/55ZR17 at the rear). The use of
    tyres of different size and characteristics to the
    original tyres may alter the operating characteristics
    of the system.
    In the case of minor differences, such as for
    example, tyres of a different make and/or model than
    the OE ones, but with the same size (rear = 200/55
    ZR17; front = 120/70 ZR17), it may be sufficient to
    simply select the suitable level setting from those
    available in order to restore optimal system
    operation.
    If tyres of a different size class are used or if the tyre
    dimensions differ significantly from the original tyres,
    it may be that the system operation is affected to the
    point where none of the 8 available level settings will
    give satisfactory results. In this case is it is advisable
    to deactivate the traction control system.

4. Track focussed tyres are becoming harder to get in a 55 profile so your hand might be forced. To be fair, a 55 to 60 profile is an increase of just under 0.8" on diameter which I pretty sure from what others have said, isn't going to confuse the traction control. The Bridgestone at 65 profile might be a step too far. Hopefully some of the forum's more track experienced riders will chip in. Andy

5. The normal size Pirelli Superbike Slicks are what the bike is calibrated for on setting 1. I always used them on the 1199S and they worked well apart from not lasting very long so they ended up being expensive. The 1199R is a bit more violent so doesn't work as well on the Pirellis so I moved to the stiffer Dunlops which I use on all the bikes now. The Pirellis are a better bet in the UK when it's colder as they are not so temperature/pressure sensitive.

The bridgestone V01 are not as tall as the Pirelli so I guess theoretically TC might kick in too early since they have a shorter radius (think I've got that the right way around?) but I've never experienced any issues when using them. I've always used TC on setting 1 or turned off though so I'm not the best person to comment. I tried a few sets of V01 in Cartagena but didn't like the rear as the bike doesn't turn as well even after I had played with the ride height a bit. I guess with a bit more fettling it might have started working but the turn off the rear wheel is important on the Panigale since it's a bit slower to get around than most bikes so I was happy to get back onto Dunlops.
    The front was excellent and I kept using that with some Dunlop rears later on. I like the stiffer Dunlops on the brakes but I'd be happy enough on the Bridgestone front even though I didn't like the rear.

6. Many thanks for the info..

Just one issue "The normal size Pirelli Superbike Slicks are what the bike is calibrated for on setting 1"

They only do a 200/60 in the diablo slicks... rather than the diablo supercorsa sc 200/55 ??

7. yes, it defiantly can. just changing makes but with the same size can. i had turn mine down after going from pirelli to mitchelin

8. Yes those will be the ones, I wasn't sure of the sizes and didn't want to specify. I'm maliciously suspecting that the only reason they added the tyre calibration feature on the 1299 is because of people shouting on the internet. I've never met anyone in real life who has actually had a problem with TC and tyre choice.

9. That will do me then ;-)

Thanks

10. I ran 200/60 pirelli slicks this year's with zero problems

11. Cheers Guys

So 200/55 or 200/60 should be fine with TC set to 1

12. I use the KR106 / KR108 slicks but from what I've heard from mates the GP road Dunlops are similar characteristics; stiffer than the supercorsas, last one and a half as long but more sensitive to temp/pressure.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. @Spud312r are you sure you’re pushing hard enough to trigger the TC in any mode?

14. Cheeky....:yum
    lol well thats the million $ question isnt it...

Looking at the DDA data from Donni using DTC level 2 its coming in where it should be on the exit of fast corners using 200/55 SC2 on the rear..

Am i pushing hard enough , no not yet (only done 3 decent trackdays on the panni) , as i need to push harder to find my comfort zone and a basline where i can trust the TC to help when i push that little but further..

Normally i turn it off to get into a rythem and at a decent pace , then i turn it on at say level 3 and continue at that pace, if its interferring then i wil drop it to 2 and then start pushing past that current pace/laptime etc until it starts to interfere again and then move on from there etc..

Its a learning/trust circle....

• Like Like x 1
  15. When's your next track day? I'd be happy to come along and share setup tips plus show you a few wobbly lines :)

16. Can I ask a related question; what tyre pressures are you using and what is your management of them through the day like?

17. Well it wont be until april 2018 thats for sure..

18. Rear HOT 28 front HOT 30 SC2/SC1 - no rear tear
    Now i have had the suspension sorted by MCT i will be trying out Rear HOT 24, Front HOT 34
    I tend to check the tyres as soon as i come in from a session before putting on warmers

19. I find anything more than dtc2 very intrusive on corner exit. Not sure about you lot, but it seems to really sap the power..

Do Not Sell My Personal Information