1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pantah 500sl Starter

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Rod, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Hi Guys , anyone know where i can get hold of a 500SL starter gear to suit a nippon denso starter, as
    they changed sizes . in early 80's when they shifted the vertical head exhaust around.
    thanks
    Rod

2. yes thought of back to classics , but that is a keyway style gear not a spine type . and had a search through laceyducati nothing on starters i could see.

3. Trying to understand what you want to do here @Rod . So presumably you have got a 1980-84 Pantah 500SL engine, and for some reason you want to fit a later type of starter motor (Nippon Denso) instead of the original starter motor. You appear to be trying to source a special starter gear to reconcile the ND motor with the earlier engine parts. Is that right?

Perhaps you have already noticed that the ND motor is mounted differently, and also fouls the oil pressure switch. It is generally said that the later starter motor is not compatible with the earlier engines. Still, anything is possible, and if you are in a position to undertake some extensive engineering modifications to make incompatible parts compatible, and have special parts made up, I can only say good luck to you with your interesting project. Please let us know how it turns out.

4. best to email Nigel, he's a top bloke.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information