1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panzer, Nine Nine Achtung Ya

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by noobie, Feb 21, 2019.

1. I'm going to guess in this cesspit of unfaithful heathens that some of you would have had gs/'s

For no particular reason other than to source knowledge, the budgets seem to be on average around the same for a late 1150 gs adventure and an early standard 1200 gs. Which would you have , why and the plus's and negatives of both?

2. Well looked for a mate yesterday. The 1150 is still doing around £2500 to 3 grand for a low miler. The 1200 is similar money but higher miles. Looked at a 2005 gs 1200 with 72,000 miles & was asking 2950. Should actually be in the bloody scrap yard & the engine pumping water in some 3rd world country. They'll all tell you how they chased a sports bike & caught it up. Fact is bloke on sports bike was having a steady afternoon & wondered what that large wart he could see in his rear view mirror was.

• Like Like x 1
  3. They're both German so all negative ;) buy a scrambler...…..

4. If your looking to do mileage at a decent pace in utter comfort there super, ive had a good few and although I love mine there just not street cred cool most lads seem to have strong opinions !!! A sunny day give me my ducs for desirability alone !!!

DSC_0396.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  5. Holy sheet, I’m not sure which is more impressive, your garage or the collection of bikes... :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. At that age would go for condition, history miles over model.
    ABS issues possible on all early bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I run a 1200LC GS alongside the Pani-girly.
    If it we’re me I’d go for a late as poss GS model; funds permitting. At least you’ll feel more in the 20th century on a 1200.

8. Nothing wrong with a decent GS, and a well-ridden one will not have bother staying with most things on the road. Air-cooled R1200GS and R1200GS TU are both cracking machines and excellent value. Comfy as you like and I had no bother with my '09 single cam model in the two years I had it. I had perfected the bike for our needs, so naturally sold it and bought a DVT Multistrada that was delivered a week or so back. D'oh! Initial impressions are that the GS is a more chilled ride and quieter, which for a holiday donk' is a very nice characteristic. Adventure models are lovely, bigger tanks and more suspension / engine bars etc being the main differentiators.

Water cooled bikes are not as quirky, which is either a good thing or a bad thing. Very subjective. Air-cooled R1200GS suffers from fuel strip issues (fuel gauge), engine corrosion can be a thing, final drives have a life expectancy @ 50k and can be rebuilt. There are loads available, so be picky. GSer forum is full of bell-ends and very aggressive (although this place has been a bit windy lately too), but you can pick up bikes and farkles for a fraction of the new cost going that route.

Don't forget your matching Rallye suit! (actually do, because although they're nicely made and very comfy - Dainese is warmer, cheaper and doesn't have the stigma).

• Like Like x 2
  9. My 1150 GS was reliable, trusty, and comfortable although massively heavy. When I sold it at 80,000 miles it still felt fresh and usable. I loved the non-diving front forks. The luggage was more robust than Ducati luggage. Replacing the clutch, which I did myself, was a really big job. When I had to do frequent trips to Germany, it was ideal. The 1200 never appealed.

10. In fairness there isn't much that isn't more robust than Ducati luggage... I looked at the DVT panniers that came with mine and immediately ordered some proper boxes for it! They're flimsy and awkward and not even very big or practically shaped. Unless you mean you didn't like the aesthetics of the 1150 vs 1200, I'd say the later bike is lighter (IIRC @ 30kg) and a little bit peppier, progressively so with each iteration. I think that the "hewn from granite" appeal of the 1150 is still something people are drawn in by though, but the 1200 is a fine bike. the 1200 LC seems to have a few more issues with cycle parts as well as reliability generally, the earlier air-cooled foibles tend to be more annoyances than anything else.

11. 38071ACB-11D5-4A9E-B932-0FA532A085E4.jpeg I’ve had GSA’s for a decade.
    Stretch to a WC. Love mine, complete with bins!

• Like Like x 3
  12. C5E5C033-C23E-4EAE-8DC3-F8BB25F0B4F9.jpeg Mines the red one:

• Like Like x 1
  13. A mate of mine had an 1150 and a 1200. The 1200 was put on a crash diet to lose weight and in his opinion the quality suffered. After a few months from new he had paint peeling off his centre stand on the 1200 and BMW were not interested

There were other issues but it’s so long ago I can’t remember.

14. Paint on the newly released LC GS’s was crap. Got a new engine from BMW at a cost to them of 7k. A common and well documented issue with them.
    Mechanically mines been fine for the last 32000 miles.

15. I’d go for the 1200 -if condition is equal - unless you need the larger tank capacity and luggage
    The 1200 was a step forward , but both models are ridiculously comfortable and easy to ride - anywhere

• Like Like x 1
  16. Does it have to be a GS. I was looking for one last year but ended up with a 1200S which has turned out to be a brilliant bike. Done 450 miles in a day on it no problem and the engine is great for road riding with huge torque and handles really well. The ST is supposed to be a great bike as well ( apart from that hideous looking headlight ).

17. I refuse to ditch my F800GS till it reaches 100,000miles. It's very reliable & fairly fuel efficient.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information