1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paraffin Cleaning Chain

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by dukenukem, Dec 8, 2018.

1. I am afraid I have made a boo boo by cleaning my chain with paraffin after reading advice that suggested it was a good idea.

A mate mentioned that because the paraffin is thinner than oil it will flush the oil out from within the ‘spindle’ in the chain - nowadays modern chains have a sealed spindle that contains oil (sealed with rubber seals at the joint) so cleaning the chain is not needed, only oiling the outside. Any crud is simply flung off.

Have I knackered (or reduced the life of) my chain?

What say ye?

2. Been riding so cleaning chains for over 50 years and only ever used paraffin

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Haha funnily enough my friend said exactly the same thing about his Dad, who he’d got the stark warning from never to use paraffin- his Dad has been riding for 50 years and vehemently warns against paraffin!

Lol I am comforted by your opinion T500 thank you.

Mate also said that paraffin strips the coating on any metals and isntslth makes them rust. My chain hasn’t rusted and is lovely and clean!

I’ll put this one down to the fact that no matter what you do everyone has an opinion as to why you shouldn’t be doing it!! :-D

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I also have used paraffin for many years with no known issues.

5. Im a parafin user also.

6. I think a poll is in order:)

7. Parafin for me, 20000miles and climbing on the current chain set up.

8. Only premium paraffin is used on my chains. If you wish to spend money on special treatments that are 'chain specific cleaners' more fool to you. Does your friend work for muc-off??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Best. Post. Ever.

Never again will I listen to the people that tell me my ideas, creations or theories are outlandish. Seeing this creation you have here @GunZenBomZ is simply awesome.

And the whole Paraffin thing, I think is settled. Thank you everyone.

Also: yes a poll is needed... :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. I use the tears of virgins to clean my chains

• Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. I don't know any virgins :(

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. How do you make them cry????

13. Actually, I do not want that level of info. I'll stick with spider cum thx.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. I use a peaty single malt, or a blend if it looks like rain.

15. Blended Scottish! Wouldn't use on my worse enemies chain!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information