1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parts Availability Versus Shelf Life.

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Chris Claessens, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Given the current terrible situation with covid-19, How long before parts get short? Specifically belts for Ducati. I imagine manufacturing is Far East and distribution Italy.
    So what's the shelf life of timing belts that I will need September? Do I buy now,if I can, or wait and take a chance on Life after Virus?

2. Just buy now if you are worried! You'll maybe keep a small business ticking over.

3. @Exige

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Shelf life:

With belts as tyres the shelf life is years rather than months if stored out of sunlight and dry.
    I have seen old part number OEM belts on Ebay nearly 10 years old from a main dealer (which in my opinion could be risky) - so I wouldn't trust some stock rotation systems! Most will be fine however.

I store and stock rotate ours religiously and Chris is pretty much on a hand to mouth stock rotation from his manufacturer so the California Cycleworks belts are always fresh!

Supply:

Along with increased sales in the USA which left us short a couple of months back on TB996 belts, the Coronavirus has interrupted the supply chain.
    China is however starting to manufacture once more, in my other job I work with OEM Automotive Companies and their suppliers in China specifically are up and running again as are our tooling facilities over there.

Ducati dual source now from the UK (which is likely to follow with the same interruptions of supply) and the far east in a currently worsening region.

If you run low mileage as most do and have 'Exact Fit' belts fitted don't worry about running for an additional year - you can always check visually and test the tension, but don't reset to the original 99Hz, go for 90Hz.

Chris at CCW is expecting his next stock in 5 to 6 weeks if all goes to plan and I will have fresh stock a week later. I'm currently out of TB996 belts but have better stocks than Chris now on most others.

Luckily as I work too I am not in a sticky situation with the business and so far I am only seeing a 20% drop in sales from the same period last year (expected to drop further over the next month or two) - which is an indication that some people will be preparing for a rough year :(

Stay safe all :):upyeah:

ps - if you don't need them yet someone else might - don't hoard timing belts, they are not toilet rolls :bucktooth:

#4 Exige, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information