1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paypal Scam

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Nigel Machin, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Be careful out there! I don’t use PayPal
    312A06E6-47F9-40FA-B735-EA32F012640F.jpeg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Hover over the Paypal link in the middle of that picture to reveal the address it's trying to direct you to (don't click it). My money's on Russia. :)

3. Get loads of emails about parcels supposedly arriving that are fake :eyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Okay I quickly read what Nigel wrote, so understandably he wouldn't feel the need to search for the phishing email address. Where you forward the email & then delete it, certainly not using any of the links within the email information page. It just pev's the hell out of me, talking to people who don't help themselves or others by reporting these scammers to the 'system' in hand. Designed to stop these vicious criminals in there tracks. By making the email senders address get blocked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I've had this shit in the past. Very nearly succumbed as I was abstracted and only noticed that it was an odd web address to log in to at the last minute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. You're not alone. If any doubt, ie its very real or I think real, I'll copy the address and paste into notepad. Then its shows the whole address.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Correct, took the screen shot and deleted the mail quick smart, easy to see how the less cautious can be taken advantage of!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. When it comes to paypal, I never access it directly but instead sign into ebay and access paypal that way. If the message is genuine, it will be there too

• Like Like x 1
  9. Never ever click a link in an email for a service you use.

Always go via your browser and use your normal favourite/bookmark/shortcut, or whatever you would have done without the email.

If you're always safe, you're not unsafe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Got this today.

Luckily I have given them all of my bank details, card numbers, passwords and personal information. Hopefully I'm now completely safe. :) :upyeah:

Screenshot 2019-08-20 at 10.14.08.png

11. Lucky you did as told as I noticed the email address is definitely what PayPal would use - you probably saved yourself from as future scam and now perfectly safe :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. My thoughts exactly Harry. Phew, thanks for confirming my correct course of action. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  13. I have had these I check you sends them and then send the email to PayPal

I always check my paypal account by signing in to it.

I get Apple ones to and send those to phishing email

I check all senders are who they say they are

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Something smelly about that email address. Andy

15. and despite the temptation, never use "save password" for any money-accessing sites

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Latest one I had was when selling some expensive headphones. Buyer paid correctly to PayPal, then immediately messaged me stating they had noticed the address was wrong and could I post to an alternative.

I informed them this breached the terms and that I was fully aware I would lose all seller protection. Told them I would cancel the sale and then they could buy again with the new address registered. Funny enough, they lost interest in buying again so I presume they wanted to claim non receipt and get their money back on a technicality

• Useful Useful x 2
  17. There are some real scumbags in the world. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. But it is the genuine guys whom make it worse. Bookings.com pinged me to say my card had expired, "click here to update". Of course I did not click and went to my account. BUT credit cards are assigned to the hotel when you book so I lost my booking in France last year. Hours to sort it

Do paypal send out "You have money in your account click here" and "your recent trasaction click here" I get thoes often - I never open them

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. ...and never pay anyone for something using the "Friends and Family" service.

The "Friends and Family" feature allows you to send money to someone, without paying charges.
    It's a great feature because it means that if you want to send someone £50, they will get £50 in their PayPal account, rather than having to pay the (somewhat extortionate!) PayPal fee, ending up with £46 (or whatever) in their account.

So why is this a problem?

You spot a bargain on ebay / gumtree / facebook. You speak to the seller, agree to purchase and they ask you to pay via PayPal.

"But can you do it as Friends so I get the actual amount and don't pay the fee?"

Seems reasonable? Yes, of course!

But the item never arrives. They no longer answer your emails.

So you go to PayPal to claim the money back, because PayPal always say that it's secure and protected, right?

WRONG

Using the Friends and Family service means you give them the money. It's like giving them cash. There's no guarantees, no come-back, no fraud prevention.

If a seller is a genuine business, they won't ask for payment via Friends and Family.

Please only ever send money this way if you are genuinely paying for something you already have, you owe someone money or you're gifting money.

HTH.

• Useful Useful x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information