1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pension Advise

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Sprocker, Jul 31, 2021.

1. My employer has just ended our Defined benefits (final salary) scheme (which is now frozen) and moved those of us who were in it onto the defined benefits scheme.
    I'm 57 and thinking of retiring at 60, or earlier if I get too pissed off with working. I'm not very savvy with all things financial, so am looking at a drawdown pension which most workmates who are/have retiring are now on. I divorced several years ago and the ex can claim 32% of my pension. I have just received my POT figures which have already taken that into account so I know how much I have left to move onto this.
    Any recommendations on a good firm to use ? A lot of the guys have gone with ST James Place. Anyone have any opinions of this firm ?

2. I’ve used STJ, they were ok until you stopped or wanted to change from a big to small commitment and they weren’t great. I work for NFU Mutual and, can say after 25 years in finance industry, are probably the most trustworthy one out there. Worth a chat anyway :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. My ex used to work for ST James place.

She was a cunt, but I understand the firm are okay.

final salary pensions are a dying thing. It’s a shame. My ex as a pensions advisor prior to getting into wealth and asset management always told me nobody in their right mind would transfer a final salary pension.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Language Timothy:eek:............from the 1980's T.V programme called Sorry.

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. My final salary pension is now frozen and will only gain basic interest. Guys who've moved into a drawdown are quoting circa up to 7% I think. And can take out a bigger monthly payment. I was thinking this would be better, and I'll get state pension in another 10yrs too. Is this a bad idea?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1

6. Apologies old chap.

But I cannot revoke the statement as it is a matter of fact I’m afraid x

• Funny Funny x 6

7. Never take advice from ‘ guys’. Do your own research for your own decision, everyone is different and ‘ guys’ sometimes don’t always own up to mistakes or poor decisions.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. That's why I'm asking you experts for sound advice
    :)

9. I use them, they’ve done well for me.

10. Get professional advice.
    Don’t be afraid to pay proper money for it.
    It will pay for itself in the end.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. So glad my pension was simple and straight forward, sounds like a right minefield out there,

12. Remember, it can go down as well as up….many lost most or all of theirs when Norton stole, I mean invested, their money.

BTw I’m looking at similar: would rather take all the money, stick it in zero interest even and then draw down over 25 years at a good rate as after that I’ll be living in my own piss anyway so state and £10k pa can take care of me ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. As has been said get good independent financial advice. It may cost a few quid but it’ll pay for itself pretty quickly IME. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Good to know as a chap from there now looks after me :D

15. We get a free session with a financial advisor as part of the closure consultation so will be using that first and see what they say. I will need professional advice as I'm thick as fcuk where moneys concerned o_O
    I'll also check out that link bradders, cheers

16. im in a similar position, want more control over the money rather being drip-fed until your time is up. Don’t mind paying good money for good finance advice. Can anyone recommend a good firm?

17. That's an option lol. I'll have 290K to last 10yrs till state pension kicks in. If I only use half that I'll still be able to get by, no mortgage to pay off either. Fcuk, I could finish next week if I think I have my maths correct :laughing:

18. Plus if you peg it your spouse etc get full value of pot left rather than a very small pension

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information