1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pesky Brake Dust

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Mark9, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Now I realise white wheels are never going to be a good idea on a motorcycle but I do like them on my 900ss, trouble is keeping them clean, after every ride they look a bit grey with “smuts” of brake dust here and there, is there any product/polish that repels brake dust or makes it easier to clean away?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Aerosols of brake cleaner remove the dust instantly. I buy it cheap at B&M stores. Keeps everything sparkly clean for £2 - its a bargain!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  3. Sweet mother of god don't let brake cleaner near painted stuff....Made a right mess of my powder coated wheels.....Might be OK on other finishes but I sure as hell won't be letting that stuff near my marchesini's, soap and water all the way
    I get the stuff from tool station for £2.45 a can..... I get through a lot of it on other parts though, I'll have a look in B&M Cheers @Jez900ie
    FWIW brake cleaner stings like fcuk if you get it in you're eye

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. My gold painted Marchesini wheels are unaffected by the brake cleaner. I didn't know powder coating was affected that way - a pain when you want to clean your brake discs.

5. I’m just cautious now. Brake cleaner on a rag or into the can lid and use a toothbrush. Brake cleaner exits the can with force and splatters everywhere, that’s how it ended up in my eye :joy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mr Sheen

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Bloody hell. What’s wrong with you all? GT85.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I've always used decreaser spray and a damp cloth, I feel for you and your white wheels, I had them on my GSXR telefonica years ago and swore never to have a bike with white wheels again!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I use Wurth brake Cleaner - less than £2 a can on Ebay when you buy 24 if they are oily - but normally just the silicone spray I use on bottom of bike (except brakes) after I have wiped them over with a wet wipe to get dust off - then a quick spray of Silicone and a wipe with a Microfiber.

The Silicone I use - has a lot of propelant and not much Silicone - so good for cleaning. (£58 for 48 cans) and leaves a little corrosion protection behind..

I use the GT 85 for the chain cleaning..

Strange how we all do different things with same stuff..

• Like Like x 1
  10. Baby arse wipes

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Gtechnic c5 - it makes cleaning a lot easier..
    low dust pads?

12. EBC HH are low dust according to Chris Kelley

13. Goose fat, I'm not sure how it fits in with the topic, I just love saying it, Goose fat

• Funny Funny x 5
  14. Hmmm, It'll cause the tyres to overinflate and overheat due to the insulating properties. I prefer to rub it on my nipples. #justsaying

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. After I clean my wheels I always wipe them down with a microfibre cloth and ACF-50. Just spraying the ACF-50 on the cloth and apply it to the wheels to get a thin layer. Of course it attracts dirt and brake dust more, but it is easy to clean off again.

16. Washing powder is the best brake cleaner, ask any race team and they’ll tell you the same. My bikes brakes get cleaned with Tomi which is a cheap washing powder sold here.

17. I just use a motorcycle degreaser, it makes life so easy.

18. I had white wheels on my 750 gixer and found WD40 got everything off effortlessly and left them like new. Mind you I clean the bike after every ride.

19. WD40 leaves a waxy, oily residue which will actively collect brake dust. Great if you clean after every ride, less so if you don't.
    Mr Sheen will also clean the dust off but leaves a dry, glossy finish that repels dust.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information