1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petrol Leak

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by jimbob50, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Went into the workshop this morning, looks like a few drops of petrol on the floor, coming from what i think is the tank overflow next to the rear brake master cylinder on the right side,its deffo coming from that pipe,squeesed the end of the pipe and it was wet with petrol,filled the tank a couple days ago on the way home, did maybe 15mile then parked it up, but didnt over fill the tank, common problem?? or is it a ducati swelling tank issue??only had the bike 2 weeks,

2. I hope that there is a simple reason for this but if the leak is consistent regardless of whether the tank is brimmed, it could mean that the moulded-in part of the drain tube has somehow become damaged/perforated. If this is the case then the only solution is a new tank afaiaa.

3. I had the same issue several years ago. Hairline split in the moulded tube inside the tank, allowing fuel to seep directly into the overflow pipe, and drip slowly but continuously from the exit of the overflow by the sump. It only will leak when enough fuel is in the tank to reach the point where the tube inside the tank is split.

I understood that it's a consequence of the the tube swelling due to ethanol, and it can't be repaired. I had to replace the tank.

4. This is why I'll be using nothing but super unleaded in my bike.

The majority of unleaded 95 Octanepetrol sold in the UK contains up to 5%ethanol as required under the Government's Renewable TransportFuels Obligation (RTFO). There is currently no requirement for renewablefuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol).

Not sure what % ethanol is required to mess up rubber pipes though.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information