1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Petrol Tank Cap Drain

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by xander296, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Hi when you open the petrol cap, there is the filling opening and in front of that there is another hole with a small hole at the bottom, is this a drain? if so why is the opening so big, and where does it drain to as mine isn't draining :-( I can get a piece of wire about a foot and a half down it then it jams up?

2. Xander, there is a small rubber drain pipe and similar breather pipe which push on to unions on the front of the tank, they connect at a Y piece union before running down to the base of the fairing in a single tube. The drain is the one in the base of the filler cap chamber. The breather is the outlet on the near side (left looking forward) and connects to the boss with the rubber seal under the filler cap. I think your wire is getting as far as the Y piece. If you want to confirm which one is which you can pull the tank back, disconnect the pipes and poke the wire through. Also if there is a blockage it could be the lower drain tube has got pinched somewhere and is not discharging, you can check that by pouring some fluid into the cap chamber with the two tubes detached at the Y piece union. If you look at the parts fiche or factory manual you will be able to see where the pipes exit the tank.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Denzil, many thanks for the fast reply, the y-piece was blocked on one side all clear and draining fine now

Do Not Sell My Personal Information