1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petrol Tank Leak - M1000ie

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Conradv2, Apr 15, 2022.

1. B5A3A693-275C-46A6-8CCC-213C10E9FBC4.jpeg The first I knew about this was when my low fuel light came on at 90 miles. First thought was dam those kids for nicking my fuel again.
    But then I saw a moist spot on the ground next to the bike. I lifted the tank for a look and there were signs of liquid around the hinge.
    I took the tank off and did a few experiments cleaning and re-flooding just to be sure and damn if the thing isn’t seeping out from under the hinge plate.
    I’m trying some chemi metal which looked ok for now and I’ll throw some paint on too. Not sure whether to splash for some POR15 or get it welded.
    Anyway while I was doing this I removed the tatty old rag that’s velcro connected underneath the tank. Any idea why that’s there?

#1 Conradv2, Apr 15, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  2. Get it welded/brazed, the only real way to seal it

• Like Like x 1
  3. as above, and braze will only be temporary on an existing leak. You can console yourself in that it's a common occurrence, and an ill-thought out design. Fault possibly brought on early by constant raising of tank with full fuel capacity.

4. Weld a plate over it and use the POR15 for good measure.

5. 'Tatty old rag' was probably for noise reduction/control

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks all for the input. Seems to be sealed for now but deffo weld is on the list.

7. Unfortunately my leak has come back so the temporary repair was temporary. I thought it would get me through the season and I could do the proper job over the winter.
    I have a 2006 620 tank which fits nicely but when I connect it up the pump won’t run. The wiring is the same but the 620 is the plate type assembly where the original is in through the cap. The pump runs perfect with 12v directly on it but when plugged in to the bike it won’t run and the ecu flashes the right indicator which I believe means “pump disconnected”. Wiring checks out fine.
    Anybody know why?

8. Turns out there was an intermittent on the red 12v wire to the pump. I was going to use the sensor wire (the sensor is different so doesn't work apparently) but its thinner. A symptom of putting too much current through a thinner wire is overheating so maybe not a good idea in a petrol tank. Plan B use the good pump earth wire for the 12v supply , run the pump earth to the flange inside the tank, pick up the flange on the external connector earth . Result :upyeah::cool:
    Not looking so bonny but lets me keep using it while I'm getting the original fixed. Monster .JPG

• Like Like x 1
  9. All sorted now , brazed with a new paint job . Thought I'd throw in the 80's badge for a wee customization
    upload_2023-5-26_13-38-55.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information