1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Petrol Tank Replacement

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Backonabike, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Hi All

Ashamed to say the bike has been off the road since September !
    I want to change the petrol tank for a tidier example as mine had been repaired and resprayed before I got it. This I only found out when I was repairing a couple of pin hole leaks ( see my other thread) with leak fix. Whilst it was upside down petrol leaked out and the paint wrinkled beyond repair! Goodness knows what it was resprayed with!

Anyway apart from the fuel pump o ring, new filter and metal fuel nut sender ( another reason it was off the road) what else might I need?

Are there any other parts inside the tank besides the filler cap that I need to order or salvage from the old tank?

Cant find anything online about swapping tanks.

Many thanks

2. Might be worth checking the condition of the petrol pipes. These perish with time and don’t cost much to replace. Also some red rubber grease for fitting the new O ring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The main pipes? I replaced them last summer

4. If you're replacing the fuel sender nut you might find this helpful.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks Birdie, So you have to do this just to replace the nut?
    TIA

6. Yep, the connector won't fit through the nut without removal.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks!
    PS Id love to know who it was at Ducati who thought it would be a good idea, putting that huge fuel pump etc inside the tank with all the sealing issues !

#7 Backonabike, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  8. Hi. I meant the tank internal pipes.

Ian

9. Thanks Ian, are they just a standard petrol pipe like the external injector feed pipes? I did have a problem finding the exact internal diameter locally.

10. Hi. Yes the same sizes but differ in that they have to be rated for the job, submersed in petrol. Can’t remember the rating now...

• Like Like x 1
  11. #11 Backonabike, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information