1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Phone Mount - Neat Install (givi + Quadlock)

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Rusty Eyed, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Hi,

I have gone through all the solutions people have used to centeralise their phone mounts or just mount their phones where they think suits them.

Here is my way using different items (with links, UK), tested for about 300miles in torrential rain and all types of road riding. A solid solution!

1. Givi bar FB740: This sits right behind the windscreen (people who use washers this is a more functional way to push the windcreen forward a little, MAYBE?)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-M...c:g:GZ0AAOSwNg9alMQa:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

2. Quadlock system: I used the mirror mount as it can clamp around securely around diameters ranging from 10, 12 and 14mm. There are rubber sleeves in the kit that you can alter. For the GIVI bar I think I used 12mm adapter. The clamp screws have thread lock on them already so wont budge or come loose with vibration. I also got the Quadlock case for my NOTE 9. You can adapt what case of fiittings as per your phone from their website.

https://www.quadlockcase.co.uk/collections/shop-moto

NOTE: If your phone is not waterproof quadlock gives you an option of a transparent poncho which fits on top of the phone and weather proofs it. The note 9 is waterproof so didnt need this!

3. Hella Plug (CLiff-Top 3.3A, Dual USB): Used this adpater in the outlet near the dash. Fits pretty snug. The weather cover it comes with may hinder it or cause a tight fit but nothing to worry. I just removed the cover entirely. DO NOT USE WHEN IT RAIN. Unplug the adpater and keep it in your pocket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cliff-TopĀ®-Motorcycle-Hella-Socket-Adaptor/dp/B01ASLBHA2/ref=sr_1_14_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1551632282&sr=1-14-spons&keywords=hella+plug&smid=ASXGKVPQ5QGMH&th=1

4. Phone charging cable: Use whatever charger your phone uses.

Hope people who dont want a number of devices hanging on their handle bars or just are happy to adapt to new tech like a new smartphone (most of them are waterproof now).

I use my phone for everything and this solution seems to be perfect without overwhelming the dahsboard with GPS and a phone.

RESULT:

53060062_10156856008962435_6771909505794965504_o.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. I'm a quad lock user too.

I did find that after a while, I started experiencing excess rotational movement (probably the rough roads round here). A few emails to them and they sent me a modified plate which just replaced the normal one. It has an extra rubber surface to stop further movement. It's worth emailing and getting if you notice excess movement.

3. Very neat!

• Like Like x 1
  4. I was on rough roads as well and was taking the bikes through its paces as well. Didnt have any movement at all. Not so sure what rotational movement you are talking about. are you using the mirror adaptor like I have ?

This is an EXAMPLE of how mine fits on to the givi bar.

5-Mirror_Mount_CloseUp-1_3b3340f7-f1a5-4b9c-a66b-340c4e0f9740_1024x1024.jpg

#4 Rusty Eyed, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  5. Exactly the same. Mirror mount on an accessory bar.

It took a few weeks of riding for it to happen and I had to send videos and things to quad lock (who were brilliant).

Basically, I ended up having about 2-3mm of rotational movement which became a vicious circle and got worse. I tried a new case they sent and the new case did the same in a short time. The modified mount plate works a treat and they sent me a.couole to try and give feedback on (must be thinking of rolling them out)

6. well that picture was taken after 300 miles of riding through scottish highlands, farm roads, shit roads lol! So if it hasnt budged on bit, I will just wait till it does. works perfect for me. there is through bolt on the 'clipper part' that clips to your phone maybe that needed some tightening or thread lock even?

I need to see your video to understand this 'rotation':thinkingface:

7. Just uploaded to YouTube for you

Mine would have been after about 1-2 thousand miles

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Thats bizarre, I dont have such movement, but I will keep an eye out. Could you show me their new solution?

9. I will take a pic tonight for you. Used quad lock for years but the problem only started when I mounted it above the clocks in a landscape position so my guess is that.

10. Mine is worse than that, I have already broken a mount, I don't think that they are that durable to be honest, the design is very flimsy and not butch enough to hold a phone long term on a motorbike, car yes but not bike.

11. It's too small of a contact area for it to be feasible from an engineering point.

12. especially for the Plus models as these put enormous strain compared to smaller models that I think this was initially designed for

13. Rubber adaption solved it for me. I'm sure I'd a few people started to email them, they'd just start selling the adapted plates.

They sent me two

14. which bit is rubber?

15. Orange ring in this crude pic... They have basically got a protruding rubber ring that stops movement. No doubt the rubber will eventually wear down, but it has lasted me a good few thousand miles and I have another ready. It is as simple as undoing the bolt and replacing the black bit.

IMG_20190304_124045.jpg

16. That's a quick fix to a known problem if you ask me, but will mail them about my movement

17. It took a month or so after my initial reports/videos/pics, for them to knock them up and ship them to me. Was quite impressed they went to those lengths. You'll need a new case too as the movement is actually caused by the receiver openings widening (mine looked visibly hooked).

18. IMG_2811.JPG
    my first one lasted 3 months and broke

19. got a video but it is too large to upload here, so not sure how I can do it?

20. You have to upload to youtube and then use the 'Media' button to insert the link to the video.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information