1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone Mount Solution / Rokform Review

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Ilmostro99, Oct 19, 2019.

1. IMG_0218.jpeg I have been on the lookout for a good way to mount my iPhone to my Monster 1200R, but it hasn't been as easy as it should be. The steering damper, while great, presents an obstacle that is seemingly impossible to work around. Up until this point, I've been using a RamMount X-Grip that has worked ok. It mounted my iPhone securely, but it vibrated terribly, plus I hated how huge it was when left on the bike. In addition, since I use my phone for navigation in my car, I had no way of mounting the x-Grip in my Golf.
    Recently I purchased the Rokform case and mounting system, hoping it would solve my problem. So far, it is working out perfectly. The Rokform case has a "locking system" similar to the Quadlock, but also a very strong magnet located just below the locking system. IMG_0221.jpeg I installed the mounting system in-between the controls and the brake reservoir. I wish it was a bit smaller, but honestly, it's not that bad. Different from the Quadlock, this one is made of all aluminum and is VERY sturdy. IMG_0219.jpeg
    While riding, the phone is extremely secure. I've tested it up to about 100 MPH (on a closed circuit race track of course), and there is no vibration what so ever, and secure enough that I wouldn't worry about it at top speed. The phone is easy to remove, but a bit finicky to mount. You have to line up the grooves and twist into place. I'm sure it will get easier with time. Also, it can be mounted in portrait or landscape mode. IMG_0236.jpeg IMG_0222.jpeg The Rokform phone mount has also solved my problem of mounting my phone in my car. I purchased a small metal plate that sticks to the dash and mounts via the magnet. I was a bit worried that the magnet would affect the navigation/function of the iPhone, but according to their website, there are no issues at all. In my short time testing, I have not noticed any problems at all. IMG_0225.jpeg IMG_0226.jpeg So far, I couldn't be happier with the set-up. It works perfectly on both the Monster and the Golf. The magnet also allows it to stick to any metal object...such as my workshop cabinets. IMG_0237.jpeg
    For power, I purchased the Optimate O-108 USB Charger and mounted it along the right side of the bike and up under the tank, coming out just below the display. IMG_0223.jpeg IMG_0220.jpeg IMG_0224.jpeg
    The USB adapter plugs into the battery charger plug when I pull it off the charger Maybe one day, I'll make it permanent, but for now this is working out perfectly.

Anyway, for those of you that are having trouble mounting your phone to your M1200R, this may be a solution for you.

• Useful Useful x 2
  2. Doesn’t the 1200r have the spare power supply by the headstock like on the 1200s?
    Power is then also switched on and off by the key.

3. Old thread so not sure you're still out there but how has this solution to mounting the phone on the Monster 1200R held up?
    Any other alternatives around.
    Thank you

4. I’m still using it and it’s the best I’ve found to date. That’s not to say that it’s perfect, however.
    Pros:
    The magnets on the case are incredibly useful in the car, around the house, sticking it to a metal sign for selfies. The uses for it are endless.

The mounting bracket is aluminum and incredibly sturdy. Honestly, I don’t think anything short of a crash would make the phone fall off.
    The actual case seems to work great. It’s survived several “drop tests” and the phone is still perfect.

In photo 6, you can see the metal tab I stuck to the dash of my car that says Rokform. When in the car, the magnets stick to that tab very securely. It’s never even come close to falling off, even along the Norfolk/Suffolk B roads, which I believe haven’t been repaved since the Romans originally built them. Jump in the car, stick the phone up there, and drive off. Just pull it away when you leave the car. It is so convenient that my wife made me get one for her, too.

The cons:
    It can be a bit tricky to attach the phone to the mount. It needs to be lined up properly and attached all while the magnet is working against you. It’s not really that bad...it only takes a few seconds to get it mounted properly, but if you think you can just instantly attach the phone and ride off, it takes a little longer than that. Again, you’re only talking about 3-5 seconds to do it but it should still be noted. I don’t mind. I’d rather it take a few extra seconds to mount to something this secure than the alternative.

Here is the biggest con I can see. It doesn’t apply to me because I still have an older iPhone, but if you have and use wireless charging on a newer phone, you are going to have to remove the magnet from the case in order to wireless charge. I tried it on my wife’s phone and confirmed that it will not wireless charge if the magnet is still in the case. This may not be an issue for you if you only use the “twist clip” mounting option, but I find myself using the magnet on the case quite often. It also will not apply if you still use a charging cable and not the wireless charging.

My particular case, you’ll notice in photo 2, has a raised area for the twist clip to attach. This means that it does not lie flat and solid if you use the phone on a flat surface. It will kind of rock around when using it. Again, this is dependent on which case you purchase. I wanted the smallest profile case so I don’t mind. The case I got for my wife is a little bulkier but will lie flat on a surface. Because the twist clip mounting option needs to be inserted into the case, there is no way around this. You either get a slimmer case that will rock on a flat surface or a thicker case that is stable. Honestly though, my wife’s case really isn’t that bad. No where near as thick as some of the Otterbox cases I’ve seen.

Anyway, that’s my honest opinion. I’m still on the lookout for when I upgrade my phone and want to wireless charge, but nothing I’ve seen even comes close yet. Not cheap, but good quality and a solid recommendation if the wireless charging does not apply to you.

Erik

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. Thanks for that,really appreciate your thorough response.

• Like Like x 1
  6. It's my humble opinion that the best mounting solution for a phone on a bike is turned off in your jacket pocket.

Is there nowhere were we are not slaves to the beckon call of a small plastic box.

Nasher.

7. You are correct Nasher.I still use a map tucked under my jacket but I thought I would try to come into the 21st century.

8. I actually agree with this completely...when I’m out riding for fun in areas I know. I only use it for navigation purposes when riding in an area I’m not familiar with and trying to get somewhere. There’s no way I’d be able to remember to take the third exit at the 27th roundabout I come to.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information