1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone Scams From Microsoft (not Really)!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Mar 2, 2020.

• Like Like x 2
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. Scary stuff for those less comfortable with I.T. :(

2. Yes. My Mum is 89 and well off. She would happily pay whatever they asked for. Where she lives, she must be on the 'suckers' list as she is regularly got people offering to clean her gutters. That's the one where they just direct a jet hose at the gutter and shut their eyes.

Now, she has been told multiple times not to agree to anything is somebody just knocks on the door. What really is the safety is that she wants to pay for everything by cheque and does not move very fast so takes ages to answer
    he door.

It is very old school to believe that people only knock at your door to help you out. Fortunately she thinks that her computer is broken but she can't remember how to turn it on!!!

She used to have a nasty habit of collecting her pension in cash. Fortunately, before my accident, I changed it to pay direct into her bank account. Often she would forget to collect her pension for weeks and then go round to the PO and have about £500 in cash in her purse. Then, when she went to pay for anything she would get out her purse and pay by card but twenty pound notes would be bulging out. Miracle that she never got mugged.

3. When I was last there and on her computing, deleting most of the crap emails (she used to sign up to everything!) she saw me delete a scam email from "Microsoft" telling her that her computer was infected with a virus. I just delete it automatically but my Mother was watching me. "What are you doing? That is a very important email from Microsoft!". "Yes, Mum", I said, "Your computer will blow up in a few minutes". She believed me!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-51660982/criminals-on-cctv-scammers-caught-red-handed

That guy "Jim Browning" is a superstar !

His tone of voice , and pretending to be thick , has them suckered right in .
    Then he gives them access to " his" machine ( which is actually a virtual machine ) , turns the tables on the remote connection , copies all of their
    files , then does a " sys key " on them ....
    [ It sets a password at the deepest level of Windows , and locks them out
    of their own computer ...... permanently ! ]

Great stuff , but technically illegal of course ..... I might cry

#5 oldtech, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  5. Here's an example of "Jim" on top form -

There's another one where the scammer is just about smart enough to realize how savagely "Jim" has done him over .... hilarious !

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jim is a top guy.

7. That is awesome!

8. My elderly mother in law would get scam calls like that too, before her dementia seriously kicked in, and readily handed over her credit/debit card details to chancers that rang her.

When we realised what had been going on we asked the bank for help. We didn’t want to upset her and confiscate the cards so we thought the best route was to talk to the bank and credit card companies. Their advice was to scratch off the cvv number on the back of all her cards.......she still had her cards that she could use as and when she went shopping, but if she was asked for her card details over the phone and didn’t have her cvv number the transaction couldn’t be completed.

Worked a treat and she stopped getting scammed over the phone :)

• Useful Useful x 5
  9. That's a fantastic idea. I can't travel to near Swindon at the moment but I will share that with family!

10. Got one of these hoaxer/hacker emails today that went straight into the spam box. it was sent from (in black) and titled (in blue) as

team-account-online-support@telenet... Microsoft Security Issue-Support

11. A new addition'

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Third installment..

13. Necromancing at it’s finest 3 year dead topic.

14. and I certainly ain't hitting your link Jennifer...

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information