1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Pillion Not Comfortable On Back, Ideas Wanted

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Robbo777, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Hi All

My Missus is a fairly seasoned pillion rider, however I've not not long had my MTS and I took her out for the first time today and she didn't like it at all and felt unsafe. When I accelerated her feet came off the pegs and when I changed gear she kept on headbutting me, I never had this problem with my VFR.
    I didn't ride like a loon my total throttle input was smooth.

Any ideas as what I can do to make things better for her? extended hand grips, foot pegs etc

Many Thanks

2. Sort the preload out and ride smoother!!

Bear in mind the engine braking on the multi is way more than a vfr

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. So would you increase the preload or decrease it?

4. Increase I would think, so it has less travel. Front and rear. Add a top box, that will stop any fall back off the pegs and maybe swap pegs for gripper ones ??

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. I'll try adjusting the preload tomorrow then and see how I get on, I have a top box with a pillion cushion too so I'll give that a go too.

6. Had a VFR the bike before last and now a 1260 Multistrada. As you say the MTS is fairly new to you it might take a little more acclimatisation for your riding style to adapt to a smooth slick thing. My girlfriend has no problem with going pillion on mine, only complaint is there is not a lot of movement on her foot-pegs with the panniers fitted (I'm thinking of getting the adjustable SW Motech ones if I can confirm that they'll fit on the pillion brackets). What we do have that is helpful is a Tribo seat cover and the top-case, both of these inspire a lot of confidence in her.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I almost lost my mum off the back of mine accelerating in third from 30 to 90. Had to be a lot smoother next time she was on the back :-/

8. Send her by bus?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. I found the top box std position about 5cm too far forward and the pegs too low and far back. So I moved the box back and fitted adjustable cheapies from ebay. Sorry it's not a great photo but you can zoom in?
    IMG_1137.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  10. Gaffa tape , hands and feet

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. You could try a pair of Multistrada Enduro footrests. A genuine Ducati Part, fits straight on, and they are bigger with larger rubbers. This pic compares the standard footrest with the Enduro part:

20160531_164542.jpg

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. F3FFFAB1-65DD-45A0-95EB-6DEB5597F175.jpeg 78E67983-54ED-40F5-B828-E5B2F2A62891.jpeg She who must be obeyed prefers the MTS to all the previous bikes we’ve had especially for ride comforts and security but....

I have a backrest on the top box, a Touratech seat front and back and when we don’t need he op box we use a backrest made from a car headrest mounted on a Givi top box mount.

Please note I moved the bike to include the required bins !!

The old Givi mount bolts straight onto the new Givi MTS mount...happy days

Roy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Do the adjustable footrests fold up OK or do they foul the pillion footrest hangers. Was cleaning the 1260 today and there's a sort of slot that the standard ones fold into.

Was looking at the SW Motech adjustable ones, expensive but look quality.

14. I have a pair of these somewhere if you want to try them, if they work then track some down
    Screenshot 2019-04-07 at 22.08.39.png

15. Noted thank you :)

16. Thanks, need to talk to her ladyship first, she'll probably be against me spending the money on the expensive ones but I think the knurled metal would be just another problem.

17. Sorry, had a couple of gins and it has to be said..... A car for her and get the bike you want...hth

18. image.jpg
    Mine were cheap and no, they do not fold up because of the design but they do work and that was more important...is a 40 mm concentric

• Like Like x 1
  19. .... and mouth ;-)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information