1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Pipes!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Wooly46, May 11, 2017.

1. Guys,
    I've just bought some Promotive 50mm cans with 45/50mm link pipe and was wondering if I just put them on will it fuel/run ok? Obviously in the near future I'll get it mapped etc, just wanted some info for short term or should I leave the std cans on until I'm ready to get it mapped etc?
    Thanks in advance for any info as I'm new to all this Ducati stuff!

2. There is a separate ecu for 50mm end cans on the 996R/998s. For that reason only, my impression is that if you don't change/remap the ecu, the bike is likely to run like a bag of nails. Andy

3. Forgot to say it's a std 998

4. id wait and get it all done together!! no point in faffing about with it, id get someone like louigi moto to do a pre dyno service as well like set the tps,balance throttle bodies and a new air filter, bike will feel brand new after that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Only takes a short while to fit them although the strap bolts can be a fecking nightmare, fit them and try it on short run. If it doesn't work that well put the standard ones back on. If nothing else you will hear what your 998 really sounds like and you will get the remap done much quicker. Although I know one person who reverted his 996 back to standard because he was told it was too noisy "for the kids" There are hundreds of 916/748/99x bikes out there running noisier pipes with no adjustment on the standard eprom. Get it mapped and set up as suggested above it will make it drive better than most new bikes

• Like Like x 2
  6. Any recommendations for getting it set up? The bike is in at moto r being serviced at the moment, Richie did say he could get the Ecu flashed and he'd reset the tps and set it up but was wondering can it be done without being run on the Dyno?

7. I'm running mine on 50's until I get the chance to find an eprom or a re-map. I've run all kinds of 9** series bikes in all kinds of configurations and never had an issue with fueling or running in over 20yrs of ownership. You'll love the sound and how much 'freer' (is that a word) it feels!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wooly, if you want it set up properly it has to be done on the dyno, if it is with Rich already you will need £400

9. How do you mean I'd need £400?

10. The 45mm Termignoni pipes for the stock 998 come with a 996R ECU in the kit. This is good enough but does have gaps in the fuelling. I fitted a Powercommander after fitting mine and it needed quite a lot of work to get the fuelling right. Nowadays a dyno run with someone like CJS will correct all that and the ECU will be flashed with the correct setup customised for your bike.

The down side is that it is not cheap and i paid about £400 odd to get my 748R engined 748S done by CJS, that included TPS setup and synchronising the throttle bodies etc.

Although expensive it's the best way to go.

If you go the dyno route it's often best to do any other tuning or engine work before it's done or it will need to be done again if you make any more drastic alterations.

• Like Like x 1
  11. That sounds tooooooo expensive..

12. That sounds tooooooo expensive..

13. I fitted my 998s with a PCIII and fitted JHP under tank filters along with de railed D.P carbon air tubes. I also fitted the new ECU supplied with the cans. I ran very lean and back fired like mad on the over run. Had it set up on a dyno by H.M Racing in Orpington. The end result was fantastic, a few extra horse power but the engine response is now so crisp, its brilliant. Just get it set up properly, you won't be disappointed if it's done correctly.

14. I agree with the others as i had a similar issue on mine. I had standard pipes but fitted the 45mm termiognis. It sounded great but would hesitate and not run ideal. I had a post on the old ducatsi forum and pete helped to tune the eprom. Once he helped me to tune the bike. It went as it should without any hestiation in all gears. If you make any changes it is worth to get it sorted ideally all.
    regards vinnychoff

15. Will the 996r one be ok for the 998?

16. My bog standard 996 MY01 BP has 50mm Termi's and used to pop and bang all over the place.

I called and Luigi Moto and they sent me out a chip for £35(ish) that was "right" for my bike. Loads better now.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I'm afraid I cannot answer that question, @chrisw is your man who is likely to know. Andy

18. If you use 45mm Termi's then that should be fine, it won't be as close (or anywhere near!) as a custom map but it won't run weak and should stop any back firing.

My 998 when new ran very weak and the change of pipes and ECU made all the difference. Unfortuntely you can't just buy a "chip" for a 998 you need to replace the ECU or have a new map put on it to correct the fuelling etc.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'll get it booked in at the dyno for an ecu flash, hopefully that'll get it somewhere near. Thanks for the advice

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information