1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli Angel Gt Tyres - A Little Review

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by mattmccabebrown, Jul 28, 2014.

1. The Pirelli Angel GT tyres have been around over a year now. Traditionally pitched firmly as a sporty road touring tyre for bikes like the Multistrada and the older ST models, the tyre is designed for any rider who wants to have a sporty edge on a tyre that offers very good levels of grip in all weathers, alongside very good durability.
    Launched in April 2013 the tyre received MCN’s tyre of the year award and although not ‘designed’ for the bigger Ducati sportsbikes, I wanted to see how these tyres would cope if I had them fitted to my 1098 for my trip to and from Italy for this year’s World Ducati Week.
    First Impressions

First impressions were very good. The tyre, although a little slower to turn in than the Super or Rosso Corsa tyres I’ve had fitted in the past, gave the bike a great level of stability through the corners and was easily able to deliver any power requirement when I wanted to pick up some speed. In lower temperatures the tyres seemed to heat up quickly and evenly, giving good levels of grip up the side of the tyre. I did have a one or two little minor slips when I had the bike cranked over quite early in a ride when exiting a roundabout, but I put this down to the size of the tread right out at the edge, which is perfect for when things get wet….like they did in the Alps….twice.
    Coping with the weather

Even in the heaviest of rain, the tyres gave me great confidence in their performance and the tread pattern easily cleared the water away from the road, removing any fear that I could either aquaplane or spin up the rear when wanting to overtake somebody.
    The temperatures on the way down to Italy reached nearly 40 degrees, with tarmac temperature way above that, but this didn’t adversely affect the wear rate of the tyre, which over the 2000mile plus journey including far too much motorway riding, maintained not only its profile but a substantial level of tread across the tyre. At one point on the journey between Monte Carlo and Milan, I was riding along the A10 Autoroute, which is a twisty two lane motorway over bridges and through tunnels and I was able to really attack the bends getting superb levels of grip from both front and rear. When, after about 40miles of this, I checked the rear tyre when I needed fuel, it had signs of that lovely rippled look a track tyre gets after being worked hard over a session at a track day.
    Although aimed at the Touring market, these tyres really suited my 1098s. In all honesty I would happily have these on my bike again. All in all, these are really good and do their job so well, you can just forget they’re there. They grip and they last., which for me makes them a near perfect tyre.

Read the whole post here.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information