1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli Corsa's - Lifespan

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Simon Gray, Oct 19, 2017.

1. I'm running a 959 brand new with factory fit Pirelli Corsa's, I just wondered how many miles people were getting out of them on the road. I dont use this bike for track and run Supercorsa's on my 636 so enthusiastic just road riding lets say but my mate pointed out it was looking a bit worn, its not illegal but I've done 1400 miles is that realistic. I know its relative to how you ride but thought I'd ask on here to see what people were doing?

2. Hugely depended on riding as you’ve stated but anywhere between 1500-2500 on the road I’d say..

Riding gently will only mean you’ll do the centre quicker.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. As above, the centre can go from “that’ll last me a few more miles” to “oh shit, that’s canvas”.

4. Is your suspension set up correctly? the reason i say is that i used to get 1500 out of a set of supercorsa's on my rsv4 - set the suspension up correctly and now i get between 2 and 2.5k....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. In truth I havent messed with it.. its was set up by riders for me. I do have a heavy wrist but still expected a bit more. I think I'll get maybe 300 more if I'm lucky but was curious as to what most expected was reasonable.. so maybe I'll be close to 2k when I change it, I guess thats not too bad, most of my rides enthusiastic rather than long journeys.

6. For the kind of riding you describe I would say that wear rate it pretty typical tbh

7. If it were my bike I'd fit Rosso III's, they're good enough for fast group track days which means they're more than good enough for the road.

Last year ALL the Silverstone Instructor bikes were running Rosso IIIs and you'd be doing well to go faster than them.

Problem is we all think we're Marc Marquez, which plays into the tyre manufacturers pockets nicely...

8. I've given up with Pirelli's, they go from "I might get another ride out of it" to this, in the space of 50 miles or so :-

pani tyre.jpg

Because there's no tread in the middle of them it's very difficult to judge the life, tyre above had done about 2,000 miles, they are well past there best by about 1,700 tbh.

Have been using Michelins for the past couple of years, Supersport Evo 2's and they suit the bike really well, but they are now obsolete so I've stocked up on Mich power RS's but not used them yet.
    BTW, bike has just under 15k miles on it and is on it's 8th back tyre

9. Cheers Blade.. a new rear isn't too expensive and I may take it off now as it will be perfect on the track bike for a day!

10. I'm with comfy (we're not going out :p) But I'm with him on the suspension side. 1400 miles seems a little low, I'd look at a combination of the rear set up and a different tyre brand possibly?

11. Thanks all really interesting to see some thoughts on tyre wear.. and yes thats why I ask as its hard to tell on middle tyre depth until my mate said your tyre is about had it! I think the rear end is set a little hard for me..

Impressive pic Poucher.. at least youve had good value!

Will look at the Rosso III as a replacement option.. I think I'm Marquez on when on track until an instructor overtakes me on the outside.. with thumbs up .. ha ha!

12. Thanks all really interesting to see some thoughts on tyre wear.. and yes thats why I ask as its hard to tell on middle tyre depth until my mate said your tyre is about had it! I think the rear end is set a little hard for me..

Impressive pic Poucher.. at least youve had good value!

Will look at the Rosso III as a replacement option.. I think I'm Marquez on when on track until an instructor overtakes me on the outside.. with thumbs up .. ha ha!

13. Wow I just don't understand how you guys get so much out tyres! I've never had a tyre get that far as I find there's no grip left a long time before that happens, when I say no grip I mean the tyre spins when I'm going straight, sounds like clutch slip, feels like a bit like clutch slip, I also find they slide when tipping in or getting back on the gas when there's still plenty of rubber left on the tyre.

14. 2k tops front and rear for me. I like SC's best as they give me confidence. Maybe a placebo, but they work for me.

15. I think your road riding style might be different to mine Airduck.. lol! The Rosso has been a good tyre for me .. and this thread has helped me realise I'm not entirley alone in mileage. That being said the SC is also a great tyre and I have them on my track Bike... bootsam what are they like on the road if it rains? This could be an option along with the Rosso III. And can you stop bloody raining so I can ride!!

16. thread moved

17. Roso tyre family looks like this, longest lasting tyre on the left, fastest wearing on the right:

Rosso III -> Rosso Corsa -> Rosso Supercorsa SP -> Rosso Supercorsa SC

The SC is a racing tyre

18. Am I wrong in assuming that due to big torque at relatively low rpms the big Vtwins are using a lot of rubber on the downshifts as well? Just another thing to consider.
    if you find the tyre wear too much even after suspension set up properly maybe move to a more sport touring compound. These are more than enough for road and ocassional track use.

19. usually when you're down shifting the weight is on the front tyre as you're slowing down and braking

20. No slipper clutch on the SMT so when riding enthusiastically I get a ‘chirp’ noise from the rear tyre as it breaks traction and starts going wandering o_O

Do Not Sell My Personal Information