1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli Diablo Rosso Iii (3), On Monster 821, Whats Your Views On Them?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Sicilian, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Guys, interested on hearing other rider views on these tyres.

Still a bit of a newbie and getting used to this bike, although never dropped a bike until this Monster 821 running Pirelli Diablo Rosso III (3). Twice now a low speed turning or U turn the front wheel has slid away from me. Lucky I I've got frame protectors on it. Both times I'd say the tyres where pretty cold, but its walking pace when its slid away from me.

I've now done just over 200 miles on these tyres in last week or so. How long would you say these would need to fully scrub in?

Anyone here have experiance with these tyres? Really not sure about them. At speeds had no issues, even in the wet.

2. Had these fitted last year and spent around 100 miles being cautious and find them really good.The bike had Super Corse 2 tyres when I bought it , crap when even slightly damp.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I had these tyres fitted when i bought my 1299s when test riding the 1299s with Super Corse 2 on it I wasn't happy with grip, this was most likely down to my inexperience and skill level, i have found the P3 more suited to my style and ability, its a good all-round season Tyre.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I’ve not used them on a monster but have on a Daytona and a Panigale 899 and they are decent, good warm up and life, but do more around a bit more than the corsa’s which on the Daytona in particular which seems really sensitive to tyres made the front a tiny bit vague

5. I had a good think about these two times that I dropped the bike, both time slow manoeuvres, really had nothing to do with the tyres. My learning of riding this new Monster is the issue. I've been slow riding it ok, but slow manoeuvers where not good at all. This monster is a totally different beast to what I passed my licence on, Yamaha XJ600. Straight 4 pot, much smoother and easier to control.

I also was not following what I was taught such as look where I want the bike to go when manoeuvring. Slow turns, slow traffic on this Monster needs a lot more clutch and foot brake control to what I'd been used too. After yesterdays drop I'd actually starting feeling nervous about slow riding this beastie. Got to a point I was nervous to turn right out of my drive becuase I park my van to the right side of my drive.

Anyway this morning I put my big boy pant's on and really practised slow riding, slow turining into roads and U turns, feel like I'm much more in control of this beast now and much more confident.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Agree with what you say about slow speed manoeuvres.
    I had a 797 and the fuelling was so lean under 3000 rpm it was dangerous! It made pulling out of junctions and moving around in car parks a nightmare. I sold it after 6 months, although Termi and ECU remap would probably have sorted it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I had Termi exhaust and upmap fitted last week. Have to admit after today much more confident on it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. About the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3:
    I discovered these tires when I bought my 2018 939 Supersport, as they come with this bike from factory. I absolutely loved them, hands down. I got over 7000 km off them before I sold the bike, and there was still more to get out of them. I’d say 2000 km easy. I am a smooth dry road rider. I ride fast but don’t use the brakes much. Like to keep a steady pace, using the twin torque and engine break as much as I can. No redline, no stoppies before each turn. Not for me. May be because I have only ever ridden Ducatis, starting with a 900 SSie. I just love to lean and get in those turns without slowing down. For this type of riding, these tires are exceptional. I liked them so much I put them on my 916.

About slow speed manœuvering with a big twin:
    All you really need to do is balance clutch and torque. Tires have nothing to do with you slipping, IMHO.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Got be said it’s more about rider than tyres, no not having a dig to anyone...I was in Padgetts 30 year ago or whatever it was and I was yapping about grip on my gsxr shod with Avon a59/m59 tyres from memory anyway said tyres were very slippy when cool but when warm were really good in fact I thought them very good at the time, to back up my thoughts the salesman fella pointed to a picture from the tt on the wall showing a racer riding on the same tyres I imagine said racer was going rather quick...

Can you imagine the difference between tyres 30 years ago and today, sorry but tyre woes are for most road riders in the head or someone told someone so and so tyres are shit etc etc...100 mph laps were been done donkeys years ago on rubber we wouldn’t put on our trainers now and 500cc+ plus bikes with wheels like 125cc bikes of now.

Play with pressures, I never ran 36/42 or whatever is recommended...but ride to the conditions fast or slow...get heat in the tyres...go to i to i academy training.... no normal rider will find a tyres limit if it’s pressured right, warm, and on a decent surface...just my opinion no expert but tyre talk has been horse shite for ever .... I remember a Pirelli front used to scare the shit out of me turning in but it was just a characteristic it dropped in quick ...preference of a brand is common and understandable and some tyres suit certain bikes better ie more stable etc ....most tyre issues are in the head for most riders imo

• Like Like x 1
  10. Don't a fan 3000 miles out of the rear, misshaped front after 4000 with shite feeling/grip

Do Not Sell My Personal Information