1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli Rosso 3 On Track

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Wull, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Has anyone used these tyres on track? If so did you bother with warmers? And what pressures?

I might take the 1299 on track this Friday coming but I’ll be riding there and because the missus is coming down because friends will be there she could bring the warmers, stands etc.

It’s an open session so easy enough to head out and warm the tyres up naturally but thought I’d maybe be as well if she was coming down.

2. Using tyre warmers between sessions reduces the number of heat cycles the tyres go through which is a good thing to do. This time of year, 26psi rear/32psi front, cold or 28/35 hot. Andy

3. Also interested to hear this, as I'm about to fit them to my Daytona because I need to do road mileage also.

4. Are we talking about the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 ?
    If so what price you getting these at and where from ?

5. Like all tyres, they will benefit from warmers and a drop in pressure on track.

6. Too late now already done the track night

7. And how were they?

8. Aye they were fine, only reason for the warmers question was whether I’d have to get the missus to follow me down with all the gear, Van ain’t set up to take the Ducati.

Awesome tyres for the road and alright for the track, they move around a lot but nothing to worry about, if I was doing more track days I’d opt for different tyres but I think maybe 2 a year max.

9. I go twice a year but that’s 6 days :D I have serious doubts my new Supercorsa SCs on the V4 aren’t going to last 3 days. Andy

10. When I say more than 2 track days I mean with the 1299, I have the dedicated R1 track bike and the CB500 race bike so real reason to take the 1299 on more than a few

11. How do you get on chopping and changing ? I gave up my R6 track bike because it seemed unnatural revving the nuts off it when my day bike was a V twin. Andy

12. I heard that there is not much benefit to using warmers on road-biased tyres as they don't suffer from heat cycle deterioration and warm up more quickly than competition tyres. I have run Supercorsas SPs many times on track and not felt that warmers would have helped: the tyres lasted well with mixed road and track day usage - no drop off in performance, no "blueing" of the tread compound, tearing or anything suspicious.
    Definitely recommend 30 front and 26 rear as a starting point on Pirelli road tyres. some other makes may even go lower at the rear. Usually the track tyre tech people have comprehensive guides on what to run.

13. I forgot to reply to this. Tbh it’s it too bad because since getting the race bike I haven’t ridden the R1 on track and I only did the one track evening on the 1299 and it was frantic as hell, even in comparison to my R1 which is a 4C8 (2008) which I’d say is ideal for Knockhill.

I’d need some more time on the 1299 there to get the hang of it, but it’s totally different to riding the small bike where you’re trying to carry as much corner speed as possible so you get all your braking done if any early and hold a bit of positive throttle through the corners for better corner exit.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information