1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli Slicks - Superbike Or Superbike Pro

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Haydn, Mar 3, 2016.

1. I know there has been a thread similar to this but I could really do with some advise from the people in the know. My current Supercorsas SC1/SC2 are scrap and i need new rubber and fancy trying slicks. My concern is am I too slow for Superbike slicks to keep the temp in them? The Superbike Pro's are cheaper and last longer, but are they too hard compared to Supercorsa's? And they only come in a 180/55 not the ideal 180/60. I know we shouldnt get held up on lap times but its a good indication of pace. So, 1:53, donington gp, zx6r with warmers. Superbike or superbike pro?

Would appreciate your experience
    Haydn

2. dunlop kr's

3. I can only get them in a 190 rear, and the current supercorsa 180/60 is almost touching the chain. I have heard good things about them though.

4. What bike? I run 195/65 on a 748 chassis and have never had chain/tyre interaction

5. Metzeler do a 180/60 in their Racetec RR CompK slick. Being a brand new tyre, no idea how they will perform but I am a great fan of the Racetec Interact and have just bought a pair of Racetec RR which is the replacement for the Interact. The profile of the new RR is more rounded so I'm hoping the transition as you lean the bike will be a little bit more progressive than dropping off a cliff like the Dunlops. Andy

6. Superbike if you are a mid fast group rider, Pros if inters and just moved to fast imho

The grip levels are quite a lot and so is how lomg they last.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Superbike Pro's offer good grip and last forever. As a general rule I would say top 50% of fast group consider SC's, any lower than that Pro's will be good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. They certainly last well, and a mate had a pair after I had done 2days on them (felt lacking to me, big power and no finesse means grip essential!) and he did about 4 race meets on them!! Decent times too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bradders, cant work out if you liked the pro's or not. Felt lacking? In what way?

Cheers

10. They moved quite a lot for me, werent full of confidence after using SC tyres, 848 and very aggressive throttle use, finesse is not a strog point. Went back to SCs. But it was my first time on slicks so could have been I wasnt used to them

Mate had them off me, not used slicks before, was racing a 996 with Hottrax, loved them and never had a slide. But he was far smoother (and bit slower ;) ) than me. He used them the whole summer, 4 races plus 2 practices a weekend, think he got 4 full rounds out of them.

I used the full on slicks on my gixer 1000, could pin throttle anywhere, and it just hooked up, never had issues or felt it needed TC, but would wear a rear right out on one trackday

HTH

11. Thanks for the replies, I've ordered a set of the pro's. Will give them a try and see how they feel.

Haydn

12. I've used SC's most of my trackday life, also used Dunlop KR's a fair bit and Metzler K1/K2 Interact once.

I bought a set of Pro's for my 3 days in Jerez in November and had a full day tuition with Simon Crafer (Motovudu) and after my first session with him he noticed I was running Pro's and said I had to be very careful with those tyres because at the pace I was going at which was only Middle of group 2 (4 groups 1 been fastest) I was working them to the limit. He said he'd tried tem once and had 2 massive slides from them and said once they go, they go....So I took the advice from the guy and bought a set of SC's....Personally I thought they felt good, not much different in feel but I guess its how much you value your bike and what risk your willing to take.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information