1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli Supercorsa Sp

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by fabriciom, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Hello,

I have a set of Pirelli supercorsa sp on my 2018 bike that came with it.

Tyres have about 1/2 life. Thing is that they are very slippery on road paint.

Tyres are really good in track but on the street they scare the shit out of me.

Is this normal for the supercorsa?

Should I change to a set of SP V3?

2. I would say it is the road paint, not the tyres.
    If the SP’s are good on track then they should also be good on a dry road.
    I don’t know of any tyres that are better on road paint, especially if it is wet/cold!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. These are the original version of the types. There is version 3 already. Im thinking they might be too old.

Thats why I wanted to hear from other owners.

4. If you look on the side of the tyre there is a mark showing the date of manufacture. It is the week number followed by the year such as 2717.

5. Thanks, will take a look.

What is acceptable age?

6. That is a big question!
    I can’t give you a technical, quantified answer however, I have old tyres on my M1100 that I took off my trackbike once they had done 3 Trackdays. They are Supercorsa SC1 and SC2 from around 2015 and they work absolutely fine on the road when it’s dry, plenty of grip.

7. Mine do work fine too problem is as soon as I go over any kind of road paint (divider, crossing, etc) with any sort of lean the bike slides. And im not speeding, normal legal speeds.

8. I was advised not to continue to use a tyre that is more than 8 years old. I do however remember a post on here regarding Deamon Tweeks supplying a new tyre that was 5 or 6 years old and the consensus was that it would probably be okay. I read somewhere a long while ago, that as a general rule of thumb for old tyres, if you make an indentation in the tyre with your finger nail and the indentation does not start to recover within a few seconds or does not disappear in less than 15 to 20 seconds, change the tyre. Andy

• Like Like x 2
  9. Just checked the dates and the rear is from 2016 and front 2017. Im gonna just change them.

They are just half way through, but I rather ride new ones and feel safer.

10. Your choice...I bet it’s the paint rather than the tyres!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I had this happen with my 899 and the rosso corsa that it came with too.

12. Was it the same painted roads? :upyeah::D:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Today I received the new tyre set.

Tomorrow I will try and get them installed.

New set are 0319. So hopefully they perform as intended and its not the paint...

• Like Like x 1
  14. For this time of year onwards a more sport-touring tyre might be nicer on the road? I have SC's on one of my bikes and don't actually like them that much. Within their operating window they're great but they're not what you'd call a versatile all-weather tyre. :)

15. As I understand it. The SP are for street use and get warmed up quicker. While the SC are for track and need more abuse to get warm.

So that might be your problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  16. Mr Fabriciom is in Madrid. Summer warmer but, from my experience, rather cold in the winter due to altitude?

• Like Like x 1
  17. there is an "andy" on here who is in the tyre trade and gave me some good advice re: testing old tyres, have tried to find him but he hasn't posted recently and no record in my messages.

found ^ it's @andyt749 - no pressure to reply Andy, but thought you might be interested.

#17 Chris, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Hi Ricky,

You just made me feel like a grandfather.:joy:

Weather over here is mostly dry and in winter it might go down to -10.

But in winter I try not to ride in the mountains because there might be ice or salt in the road.

I do know that these tyres do not perform well wet. But Madrid is mostly a dry city.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  19. Your SP's should work great in that climate. Have used these tyres for the last 6 years or so... obviously not the same pair (I wish)... Mega road tyre with bags of confidence and outright grip! Couldn't ask for more apart from some extra mileage... daft question perhaps but have you checked pressures and also nothing contaminated on tyre... I've seen alsorts on tyres over the years... chain lube! grease, oil and even seen some cases of people using tyre shine cleaning products! Silicon etc....

• Like Like x 1
  20. For info. I believe Pirelli guarantee their tyres for 10 years (obviously not against normal wear :D)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information