1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Pitch App. For Iphone.belt Change.

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by vj60, May 4, 2017.

1. Hello
    Can anyone recommend a pitch (hz reading) App for iphone please? I would like to change the belts on my 848 evo 2011. I realise there are different ways to check belt tension but thought I would try using my phone to obtain a better reading. I believe it should be 105hz? Does anyone know the torque setting for the eccentric cam adjuster bolt and should you use locktite when refitting, if so which colour/strength? Any info on belt change most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gates Carbon Drive or Continental's Tension2Go

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. See my web site for video's - always use new Fuji Lock Nuts and New Wave Washers. OEM 110Hz nominal, our premium belts stretch less so 99 Hz nominal (110Hz max) Check your idler bearings for any sign of wear or grease escaping and replace if needed as if these seize your engine is screwed.
    Gates Carbon Drive App.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Make sure you put a straight edge across the tension pulleys to ensure they are sitting square. Also, make sure you rotate the tensioning pulley in the correct direction. If you don't, you won't get enough tension and the belt runs may touch - not good...
    Iirc, counter clockwise is correct.
    Belts almost never just break. It's incorrect fitting or something else going wrong in the engine that usually breaks them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. It's probably a good idea to get a cheap microphone to plug into your phone or tablet. Much easier than trying to get the built in microphone close enough to get a good reading. Getting a good reading is the most frustrating part of the process, I found.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Thank you for your help. As I will be measuring belt tension on the horizontal cylinder belt at TDC (driving pulley lined with clutch cover mark). Could you tell me the position that the driving pulleys needs to be in for the vertical cyclinder to be at TDC?

Kind regards Vince.

7. Not sure but @Derek might help :)

8. Does the video not show you that ??

9. Just take the spark plug out and hold a screwdriver down the hole until you feel tdc.

10. Yes 90 degrees back for tdc on vertical cyclinder. Would it be wise to tension the belts and run the engine a bit then re-check tension, surely they have to 'bed in' a bit?

Regards

11. The carbondrive apps are free and have been cross checked and found to be accurate - you just need a plug in mic for your phone which are a lot less than £10.
    Premium belts only need 99Hz :Angelic:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. :tongueout:

I have one anyways as I hack at a guitar nowandagain. Ive always found these to be more accurate than any iphone app. But thats prob just me and subjectivity.

• Love You Love You x 1
  13. Can you put Hartley back - this is unnerving :Nailbiting:

14. The recommended figure allows for that. The in service figure is 90 hz

15. I (gently) dropped (placed) a chopstick down and you can watch it going up and down, it's long enough to still poke out the top when at the lowest point.

• Like Like x 1
  16. There. Feel better?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Now your back proper :Wideyed:

18. Thank you all for your help as without your input I would of not attempted this considering my little experience!
    Belts are fitted. My biggest fear was the cams moving on the vertical cyclinder so I made two cam holders for both cyclinder. I agree with 'Older rider' the app was good but getting a consistent reading is difficult. It appears to me that getting a clean pluck with your finger is key, however I still got some strange readings when I know the belt was tension to 106hz the next pluck I would get a reading of 23 or 323 etc! Just as a test I ran the motor up to temp.(102c) then checked the belt tension which was with cyclinders at TDC due to the metal expansion the reading was almost doubled on both belts to 202!
    Many thanks Vince IMG_5203.JPG

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information